HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]
Latest topics
» Bright Star Weyr
An Awkward Conversation EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:48 am by Guest

» New Harry Potter Role Play, Just Started!
An Awkward Conversation EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:29 pm by Guest

» RULLORE::Fantasy Horse RPG
An Awkward Conversation EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm by Guest

» Sohtrie's Source
An Awkward Conversation EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 am by Guest

» The Island Role Play
An Awkward Conversation EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 pm by Guest

» Shinobi Chronicles: Fall of the Reform
An Awkward Conversation EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 4:45 pm by Guest

» Kingdom Hearts: Light's Rebirth
An Awkward Conversation EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 am by Guest

» Farewell
An Awkward Conversation EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 am by Ismahel

» Lovespell [jcink]
An Awkward Conversation EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 pm by Guest

Census
The Pridelanders
Scar & Zira
♂04 ♀05

The Outlanders
Kiume & --
♂04 ♀02

The Coldlanders
Ismahel & --
♂03 ♀03

The Shadowlanders
Ni & Abuto
♂07 ♀03

The Desertlanders
-- & Quanna
♂02 ♀03

The Lowlanders
Nyota & Duara
♂02 ♀09

The Ashlanders
Nako & Heshima
♂02 ♀03

The Rogues
♂04 ♀04

The Other Species
♂03 ♀00

Total: 63
♂31 ♀32

* - Character Found in Want Ads

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 159 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 pm

An Awkward Conversation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nako

Nako

Pride Points : 433342

An Awkward Conversation Empty
PostSubject: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:12 am

There was no question about the state of the Ashlands. It provided well for the small pride that resided there, and it pleased Nako immensely with every passing day. Finally, he had found a home, and with it, a makeshift family. They were not the most bountiful lands, since there was little green left for the prey animals to graze on, but they were not destitute, either. There was enough for all of its inhabitants, since many of the migrating herds lost a stray member or two near the charred territory. Once the animal found itself misplaced and alone, the hunters of the Ashlands could make swift work of the unfortunate straggler. Kifu had never been properly trained in the art of tracking, due to his father's controlling and vindictive attitiude towards him, and this was something Nako was determined to remedy himself. He had summoned for the young prince to meet him there while the others were away, and was pleased to find that Kifu wasted no time, making his appearance shortly thereafter.

Nako took in the sight of the adolescent. Before long, Kifu would be all grown up, and even though Nako had only known Kifu a scant few months, it pleased the king to see Heshima’s boy growing. He was given as much as he wanted to eat now, for a growing lion needed all the sustenance his body could handle, Nako had declared. And from Nako’s large size, it was obvious to deduce that his philosophy had been the same during his own youth. But it didn’t really matter if Kifu ceased to grow any taller, even as his shaggy mud colored mane became thicker and more impressive seemingly by the day. As the current heir of his kingdom, Kifu needed to be strong, but he also had to keep his wits about him at all times, to be reasonable in the face of adversity. So far, Nako had been impressed by Kifu’s calm demeanor. Now he would learn even more about the younger male.

As Kifu joined him, Nako suddenly found himself at a loss for words. He cleared his throat, willing his brain to cooperate. How had his father broached the subject when he and his brother had been young? Or had it been his mother, before her untimely demise, that had instilled within her sons the respect for females that kept Nako from running wild and spreading his seed throughout the savannah? Such behavior was barbarous and disgusting to Nako, and he was fairly certain that wasn’t Kifu’s nature either. But either way… ”Kifu, your mother has given me permission to train you how to hunt. I thought it would be fun and helpful to have Zivia join us during your lessons. You two seem as if you could become good friends,” he suggested as innocently as possible.

”You know Kifu, you’re at that age where your mane is starting to look.. you know.” He ruffled his own mane to prove his point. ”It won’t be long before you’ll have a mane to rival my own. I wanted you to know that, like you, I was once a young lion.” A cough was uttered with some apprehension towards his next words. ”When we lions get to be about your age, we begin to notice.. things. Things like, for instance.. lionesses.” Oh boy. This was already not going as well as Nako had hoped, but he felt it was his responsibility. He paused, sneaking a hesitant glance towards Kifu to see if he comprehended what his elder was trying to explain.
Back to top Go down
Kifu

Kifu

Pride Points : 434043

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Kifu's steps were careful and controlled as he made his way towards Half Peak, he'd been out again, walking the lands and hoping to find Zivia out there again. He was enjoying her company more than he wanted to admit that was for sure, he still didn't understand exactly what he was feeling, she was still just a friend to him albeit a very pretty lioness friend. He was excited for a distraction, and for a chance to learn what Scar had never taught him, how to hunt. No doubt his father had seen it beneath the Prince to learn something that lionesses were expected to do but Kifu didn't see it that way, it was beneficial for everyone to know how to hunt. The more hunters the better, still he was a bit hesitant, it would be his first time alone with Nako and he was still just a tad bit wary of him.

When he crested the top of the rocks he could see the large form of Nako, he was finding out why Nako was so large, it was clear that the King thought it pertinent for the males to eat and grow strong. He had given Kifu his choice to eat as much as he'd liked and while at first Kifu had been tempted to eat until he was filled he knew that wasn't the responsible thing to do and so had eaten what he thought was a normal portion before letting the others eat. They were important as well, not just himself. Kifu couldn't say that he didn't like Nako, the male lion was so much different than what he'd come to expect males to be like, he was calm, wise, and overly generous and kind. It was a large change from Scar, that much was certain, and while Kifu had doubted it at first Nako's demeanor had never slipped and Kifu had come to accept that he truly was all of these things and not just pretending.

He bowed his head respectfully when he came up and waited, the silence stretching out between them as both sought words. It was Nako who finally spoke and while Kifu thought he might be grateful for him speaking first he'd latter find out just how wrong he was. He smiled, a slight sheepishness in it, when Nako mentioned inviting Zivia along for the lessons. He hadn't caught any intentions in the statement and he was glad to have the lioness along, he really enjoyed having her around and learning together would only make the process more fun though he was loathe to mess up in front of her. She was accepting and never cruel, he'd learned this about her so far, so he was more than willing to let her laugh at him a little now. Kifu brought himself from his reverie and looked slightly confused as Nako chattered on about his mane, though he was right, every day his mane grew thicker and shaggier like the elder lions.

The apprehension that entered his tone worried the young male but he could have never guessed what would come next. If he could have blushed his face would have rivaled the red in a sunset, his eyes did widen however and he quickly looked at his paws, startled. He knew what this was. He almost groaned but kept himself from doing so aloud and contented himself with groaning in his head, surely he's not going to..., oh but surely he was and Kifu cleared his own throat. "O-Oh...yeah...I guess that's normal for my age b-but it's not a big deal, I mean I don't look at Zivia that way if that's what you're asking" how did he explain what he's was trying to say. Did he look at Zivia that way? Maybe, probably, but did he want to admit it right now...absolutely freaking not! What if she showed up?! His fluster rose and he suddenly looked up at Nako with a pained, embarrassed expression.

"I want to be in love first before babies" he blurted and then lapsed into a shocked silence before dropping his head and groaning. He sounded like an idiot.
Back to top Go down
Nako

Nako

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Despite the awkwardness, Kifu's outburst seemed to amuse the elder lion, who began to laugh immediately; a nervous laugh. But he quickly quieted his reaction, fearing that it would make the young male even more embarrassed - if such a thing was even possible. "Well, that's sort of what I wanted to talk about, and I'm glad to hear you say it! There are plenty of lions out there who don't feel the same way, but it has always been my belief that cubs should be the product of love, and not selfishness or--" But his sentence faltered on his tongue as Nako made the sad connection: Kifu himself had not been created in a moment of tenderness and affection. Heshima had already explained how her former king, the evil tyrant, had tricked and seduced her, and then failed to be impressed by the outcome. "Well, I mean, ideally. Not all cubs are born because of love. But that doesn't mean the result of those litters isn't as worthy as a cub born to two parents in love."

The lion paused, struggling to find the proper words. The last thing he wanted was to make Kifu feel badly about his own paternity; this was something the prince could not help, and should not be blamed for. "In a perfect world, there wouldn't be any bad lions. But we both know they're out there. I guess what I mean to say is, the only way to make the world a better place for future generations is to live by our resolve. Now I know you're definitely not a bad lion. I can tell," he said with a reassuring smile, as finally he seemed to get a better handle on the point he was attempting to make. "As good lions, we must control ourselves, and not throw ourselves at any pretty lioness who looks our way. And family..." A wistful look appeared in the king's crimson eyes as he stared out at the horizon, at nothing in particular. "Family is the most important thing in the world. Family and your pride: your new family."

Finally, Nako shut his trap to allow his words to sink in, still uncertain if his intent would be clear to the boy. He cleared his throat as he peered back to the younger lion by his side; the lion that would someday assume the throne that Nako had sought after for so long. While Nako wasn't certain what Scar looked like, it was hard to see any of Heshima's features in the youth. But Nako had already learned that it wasn't appearances that Kifu had inherited from his mother. No, it was a gentle spirit that dwelled within both Heshima and her eldest son; a comforting soul, and a bright mind as well. As far as Nako was concerned, they were his family now. That's what a pride was for. And he was grateful that both mother and son had decided to call the Ashlands home. King Scar had been a fool to let them both go, Nako knew it.
Back to top Go down
Kifu

Kifu

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Kifu's ears flatted considerably when Nako started to laugh and only got lower as he spoke, if that's what Nako thought then what did he think of him? Kifu looked away but his expression had changed from embarrassment to one of stoic silence, he wasn't mad more...ashamed, maybe was the right word. Nako seemed to have realized his folly and was trying to correct himself but the damage had been done, Kifu knew the lion probably didn't think lowly of him but it wasn't a comfort to know that he was considered a less than ideal cub because of the way he was born. Out of greed rather than love, but Heshima loved him and that was enough, he didn't need anyone else so long as he had his mother and at least one of his sisters now. And he had Zivia, his first friend so far in his life.

Kifu grudgingly looked back to the lion when he started making sense and his ears raised slightly, Kifu only nodded to agree that he wasn't indeed a bad lion. He never wanted to be considered bad or anything like Scar but it seemed even in the face of someone who knew he was not bad he would still suffer slightly for his parentage, it was frustrating to say the least, he just wished sometimes that Heshima had never met Scar but then it would have been impossible for him to have existed. It was a lose lose situation in his mind but he was determined not to grow into a bitter thing, little did he know that his father had been bitter and angry as well in his youth and the realization of such a thing would have disgusted him.

Nako's words hadn't gone unnoticed and Kifu would have flushed if he could again, he wasn't about to throw himself at anyone, unless of course he tripped which was likely the way he stumbled all over himself around Zivia. "I know, I won't do that...unless I trip" he attempted to make a joke to ease some of the tension suddenly in the air and gave a small smile, he couldn't stand anymore tension or disapproval. It seemed however that Nako had no intentions of disapproving of him and even called the new Pride his new family, family...it was a concept he was familiar with but something he had yet to feel he'd really experienced. He had Heshima of course but he and his sisters and mother and father had never truly felt like a family. They had been too skewed, they had been objects, just living breathing pieces of property to the Dark King and nothing more. Except maybe Ari, father had always been gentle with Ari, kind to Ari.

"S-So these hunting lessons, should we start?" he shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot, kneading his claws on the ground.
Back to top Go down
Nako

Nako

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 6:42 pm

It certainly hadn't been Nako's goal to make Kifu feel less than ideal, but it seemed he hadn't been careful enough with his words. Kifu said nothing in response to the elder lion's lecture, and Nako knew instantly that he had messed up his message royally. Kifu's body language made it abundantly clear. The poor embarrassed youth attempted to make a joke and change the subject, but now Nako was determined to get his point across. Of course, there was a possibility he would only make it worse.. But Nako cleared his throat, inhaling deeply as his mind raced, trying to put together some intelligent argument in his favor. In the end, he had only honesty to share. "You know Kifu, maybe it would help if you understood where I'm coming from. My dad, he wasn't a very good lion. I suspect I could have many half siblings scattered like the wind out there. He would sweet talk any lioness who gave him a second glance. And my mother, she was young. In the end though, she never learned. She never tried to take us away from him, and she died while we were still young. I do remember her, but vaguely."

He paused for a moment, and realized that he was shaking lightly as he spoke of the past. It was not a subject he cared to remember but he felt he owed it to Kifu to show him that he wasn't the only one who called a terrible lion 'father;’ that it wasn’t a life sentence, either. His head lowered, along with his voice. "I've never told anyone this, in part because I didn't want to believe it myself. But my own father abandoned me. He waited until I was old enough to hunt on my own and then he simply vanished, leaving my brother and me. Then my brother died in a fire and it was only me." Again, Nako fell silent for a few seconds, looking back to Kifu to see if the younger was still paying attention. "We never even had a real home. But it didn't matter. I was determined to do better for myself, and I have. I guess that's the point of all of this. We can do better than our fathers. We will do better. You have my word as a lion that there are no cubs of mine out there, running around without a decent father to raise them. A family isn't just blood, it's the ones we find along our life's journey, too."

A sigh ended the lion’s rant and he gave another apologetic smile. By now, young Kifu was nearing maturity himself, and Nako doubted that he needed a father in this point in his life. But if he did, then Nako would be there to fill the void, if Kifu didn’t completely despise him now for struggling over his words. His tail flicked, and he perked up at the mention of hunting. "Right then. A hunting lesson. Well, first things first, we head to lower ground to sniff out the scents of the herds. I can tell you from experience they often come through the hills to the south, heading for the grasslands beyond the jungle." His muscles flexed beneath his caramel colored pelt, instinctively readying for the hunt... If his inability to communicate hadn’t soured the mood between the two males entirely. He took a few steps away, waiting for Kifu to walk alongside him.
Back to top Go down
Kifu

Kifu

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Nako didn't seem to be deterred, he even seemed determined to an extent to fix what he'd said so the young lion let him speak and continue with making his point. Kifu did seem surprised when Nako admitted that he himself had a father not unlike Scar, at least in regards to females and the dull russet coated male took a slight shimmy closer while he listened to the much larger males story. He seemed dejected and was even shaking lightly with his memories, it almost made Kifu feel guilty for reacting in a way that made him want to bring it up. Kifu had to wonder what it would be like to not remember Heshima at all, if his mother hadn't taken him away when she did what could have happened to her and the rest of his siblings. Likely they would have died from his fathers madness, one way or another Scar was killing them all, that was clear to the young male now more than ever.

He ducked his head to get a better look at Nako's muzzle when the unshakeable lion suddenly hid his face and lowered his voice. In all his time here Kifu had never seen him act this way and it was oddly comforting, the male was always so loud and boisterous and yet her came from a background not unlike Kifu himself. If that meant anything it showed that what Kifu had thought from the start, that he could be better than the lion he called father. Better than his genes and royal blood made him think he could be and he felt himself smile gently, his ears picking back up with a gentle look on his muzzle. Nako looked back up at him and impressed the very point that he'd been trying to make, making Kifu nod firmly back at him to show that he agreed, that he believed him.

Kifu felt the concern from the larger male but he plowed on bravely and Kifu did indeed stand and move to stand besides him with a brightened but nervous smile. "Right, I've seen some tracks before but never any prey" he admitted and flicked his tail sheepishly before letting out a nervous chuckle. "I bet we'll find them though, they can't escape King Nako right?" he asked and snorted. He was opening up a bit, being more friendly than usual with the larger male to show that he wasn't angry with him and that he was ready to accept him. If Heshima and he should get...close...Kifu was going to be ok with it, Nako wasn't a bad lion, he had proved that and Kifu wasn't about to treat him like one anymore. Maybe he could trust males after all.

A sudden though did strike him and he look over discreetly, "Um, Zivia isn't going to be joining us today right? It's my first time and all, you know...I don't...want to look stupid" he winced knowing that he sounded self conscious but he figured Nako would understand.
Back to top Go down
Nako

Nako

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Finally, it seemed as if Nako had broken through to Kifu, though the younger of the two said nothing. The king was happy to let the conversation end there, and he felt rather proud of himself, but not in an arrogant, boastful way. It was a step towards healing that Nako himself had not realized he needed, as well. He would likely never tell Heshima about their conversation that day. He hoped he had not overstepped any boundaries, since he was not a parent to Kifu, but he couldn’t help the paternal feelings that were budding in him towards the young lion. Kifu was his future now, as much as he was Heshima’s, and the maturing prince would never again be Scar’s waste.

The tawny king of the Ashlands held no bitterness for the way his life had turned out, and he hoped Kifu would look back on his life years from now and feel the same way. It was something that could be learned only with age and experience: that even the tragedies of life had some meaning when all was said and done. Nothing was pointless. It was all of those painful events that would create a lion worthy of royal title. Now it was his job to keep others safe, and that is what Nako would do, even if it was at his own expense.

Nako could sense Kifu’s anxiety as they began their walk for lower ground, away from the usual hang-outs of the Ashlanders. The sun was still high overhead, so the lions would have ample time to search for something before night. Many of their kind chose to hunt during the night, but it was difficult to do so in the Ashlands because of the terrain. Nako glanced to Kifu when he said nothing could escape the king, for a second wondering if he was being sarcastic. But the look on Kifu’s face now was different; less shadowed, less cynical. He laughed, shaking his shaggy head. ”Kifu, if there’s anyone who knows about screwing up a hunt, you’re looking at him. It takes a lot of practice, but teamwork makes it a lot easier.”

He led the way down a worn path, into a canyon. Even though Nako had already guessed how Kifu felt about his young friend, he couldn’t help but feel as if he had been let it on a secret when Kifu spoke again. He hid his amusement expertly this time. ”I believe your mother will be teaching Zivia, separately from us.” And of course, Nako did understand. He only hoped that Heshima’s conversation with Zivia would be a little less awkward at the start.
Back to top Go down
Kifu

Kifu

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Kifu paid close attention to his footfalls to make sure he didn't manage to slip and fall before they even got started but as Nako started to speak to him he found himself more relaxed and walking just fine alongside the other male. He looked over and gave a nervous grin, "Was that supposed to be reassuring that we won't mess up?" he asked and a nervous laugh forced itself from his maw. He wasn't in any way dogging on Nako of course, he was simply doing his best to offset the slight trepidation he felt at the thought of failing in front of someone else. Failure before hadn't been met nicely and he didn't yet realize how deeply his lifestyle might have been ingrained in him, but how it wasn't normal in the least for others.

They passed over worn ground and eventually made they way into a canyon, Kifu had seen it before as he'd roamed. He found himself learning the lands around him, due partly to restlessness but also partly because he felt responsible for doing so. Relief seemed apparent on the young males features and he let out a breath of such, he realized what he said must have said sounded like only a moment too soon and he picked up his head quickly looking slightly alarmed. "O-Oh good, a Prince has to look dignified, a-and...I wanted that...and stuff" he failed spectacularly to finish his excuse and only gave Nako another sheepish look. He didn't know why he bothered, it was clear the older lion knew what he'd meant, and he wasn't teasing him for it, so why should he be so embarrassed. He was probably more embarrassed by his abysmal attempts to hide it than the actual fact that he might like Zivia.

Finally he looked up to the sky, "I...I like...her" he stumbled over the words and then looked down quickly at Nako. "She probably already thinks I'm an idiot, I'm always so clumsy and stupid around her. I don't know why either! It's like my brain malfunctions, but when she laughs" his eyes drooped half closed and that dreamy look took over his maw and it stayed that way a moment before he shook his head. "Have you ever...you know...liked someone? Is that normal?" it was embarrassing but they'd already talked about he worst thing so how much worse could it get asking for advice? Surely Nako had liked a lioness in his day, at some point. Kifu studied the caramel maw for any indication that he was going to burst out laughing, he wouldn't blame him if he did.
Back to top Go down
Nako

Nako

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Just as Kifu tread cautiously, so did Nako. The last thing he wanted was to take a spill and lose all credibility as a mighty and capable hunter before they even began. When Kifu asked if Nako’s comment had been one of reassurance, the older male couldn’t help but laugh. He shook his head and his dark brown mane was tousled about. ”No, just the opposite, I’m afraid! I don’t want to get your hopes up that we’ll succeed the first time around. But that’s normal. Life is all about learning from our mistakes, and rest assured every one of us will make many in a lifetime. That is the name of the game.” And only the Spirits could guess how many failures Nako himself had experienced during his time spent alone. It didn’t really occur to him why Kifu would be uneasy. Nako’s father had been lousy, but he had at least taught him basic life skills such as hunting for oneself before ditching his son.

Nako smelled the still air, trying to detect the scent of something edible. The Ashlanders wouldn’t get very far in their lesson if there was nothing to hunt, but as always, the aging lion had faith that their day would not be a total waste. His suspicions about Kifu and the lovely Zivia were only further confirmed as the younger lion stuttered over his words. ”You’re assuming that Zivia has a clue about hunting herself,” he said quietly, a low chuckle escaping as well. Thus far, he had seen no proof on the contrary, since Zivia had never brought a kill back for the pride. But Nako didn’t blame the young lioness anymore than he blamed Kifu for lacking those skills. Every lion had to start somewhere, and the king was simply pleased that Kifu showed a real interest in bettering himself.

And just when Nako thought the awkward part of the conversation was over, it sprang right back to life again. This time, Kifu asked a question that Nako wasn’t certain he should answer. Clearly he had little experience with relationships, but he couldn’t deny that his feelings for his platonic partner Heshima were evolving daily. Nako had never been in love before, but the nervous feelings that Kifu described were all too familiar to the elder lion. No laughter erupted this time, as Kifu feared. Instead, an awkward look crossed Nako’s features. ”Uhh,” he responded dumbly. He didn’t want to lie, but how could he admit the truth? ”No, I guess not. I can say with absolute certainty that there are no cubs out there that belong to me. I had always waited and hoped for the right lioness, but…” He found himself slowing down as he spoke. ”Some lions are luckier than others, I suppose.”
Back to top Go down
Kifu

Kifu

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Nako reassured him in a sense, if Zivia herself didn't know anything about hunting then maybe he'd get a leg up, look a little cooler than he was if he knew how. It renewed his vigor for the whole ordeal and there was a slightly more determined slant to his eyes and the way he moved now, he'd catch something today or at least get close so he could tell his friend the story when he returned. He did glance Nako's way when his questions were ignored but what he saw on the other lions face wasn't mirth but his own embarrassment and Kifu wondered just what it was that he was thinking. Maybe it was just the subject in general that was awkward, that they seemed to be able to agree on.

Unbidden his next statement slipped out and a bitter look found it's way to his maw for a moment, "Or forceful" he regretted saying it but at the same time it felt good. There was a little heat in his tone but it was of course directed at his father, sometimes he wasn't sure if he was glad that he'd been born or not, he loved his mother and his motivations for wishing he weren't born were all for her, if he hadn't been born she wouldn't have ever been with Scar and it was that he didn't wish upon her. He shook his own head and gave an apologetic look in Nako's direction before clearing his throat again, "Sorry, I guess it's one of those things I'll just have to find out on my own" he let out a nervous chuckle at that but let silence fall.

His own thoughts were much like Nako's, he had just wanted to be friends with Zivia at first but he couldn't deny he felt more. She was beautiful, kind, and accepting of him even with his lineage and past. It wasn't something he'd ever expected to find to be true of a lioness outside of his family, the accepting part that was, she had seemed uneasy at first but for some reason she had trusted him and so he her. Unbidden his paws stopped him in his tracks and he sniffed again, with a frown on his face, he had thought he smelled something and he looked to Nako questioningly to see if he had scented anything or if it had just been the young lions over eager mind playing tricks on him.

He wanted so badly for this lesson to go well, he could taste it.
Back to top Go down
Nako

Nako

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Nako was well aware of the circumstances surrounding Kifu’s birth in the Pridelands. The younger lion’s comment caused the elder to raise an eyebrow questioningly, but he knew better than to ask. He could sense the meaning behind Kifu’s words, anyway, and assumed he was speaking of the old tyrant, Scar. Though Nako had never met the evil king, he had an image of the lion in his mind: thin, aging, dark. In a way, he supposed, Kifu probably took after his father, physically speak. The very thought of meeting Scar face to face brought anger to the entire being of the otherwise mild mannered king of the Ashlands, but he shook it off, shaking his head to dismiss his vengeful thoughts.

How could he offer advice to Kifu when he himself had never experienced intimacy? Needless to say, Nako was grateful when finally, the subject dropped off into silence. In the failing sunlight as the day began to fade away, the shadows in the little canyons hid away like criminals, filling the crevices with a premature darkness. The air there was already beginning to cool, a welcome relief after a hot afternoon. This was Nako’s favorite time of the day to hunt. He knew that many lionesses hunted at night, but he lacked all of the natural talent that the females of his species were born with. Nako had to teach himself and learn what worked for a male hunting solo.

It was Kifu who first noted the scent on the breeze, and Nako stopped dead in his tracks half of a second after his young protégé. The large king said nothing as his own nostrils tested the air. Immediately, he thought how pleased Heshima would be if her son’s first lesson was a success, and he nodded briskly towards Kifu. He knew from personal experience that the herd animals that wandered through often came from the south, and he could easily judge directions by the way the afternoon shadows were cast on the ashy ground. ”This way,” he said quietly, nodding his gesture. ”They usually come here in search of water. Let’s go to the nearest spring,” he suggested, waiting for Kifu to lead the way.

But before they could walk far, the sound of distant movement caught Nako's attention. His ears flicked forward as he tried to make out what it was. It could easily have been Heshima or Zivia, much to the embarrassment of the boys who didn't wish for an audience that day. Or it could be that their dinner was even closer then Nako imagined. He could feel his muscles begin to tense beneath his fur.
Back to top Go down
Kifu

Kifu

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 8:02 pm

The air had noticeably chilled and the young male shivered slightly at the sudden change but enjoyed it, compared to the heat this was heaven and he made note of the place in case he ever needed a cooler place to take refuge. Nako seemed to confirm the smell he had caught on the wind himself and he smiled with a slight boost to his confidence before he turned his head to Nako who was directing him a certain way. The spring only made sense, prey loved water and food and well the only thing that the Ashlands did have a lot of was water, they weren't high on the vegetation that the prey loved but being close to the jungle had it's advantages. He grinned when he heard the noise himself and looked to Nako with anticipation, were they really that close?

Kifu slinked down and peered back at Nako, his lean body could get easily closer to the ground than Nako's and he pondered for a minute. Nako was more powerful, more skilled, but Kifu was sure he could help even if he couldn't take the animal down on his own. His mind was already working and he smirked before stopping, keeping his eagerness under control, "What if get behind them and herd them towards you? I can get closer to the ground and if I roll in the ash I can cover up the bright fur of my coat, they'll never see me coming" that was in an ideal world of course, it wasn't likely to go that smoothly but Kifu was overly eager and optimistic to the point that his thoughts of failure had evaporated.

He twisted his ears towards the sound Nako head heard again and now he could hear it, it definitely wasn't another lion, the snuffling indicated that it was some kind of prey. Probably gazelle judging by the fact that he didn't hear the usual sounds of zebra, he'd seen them before, just not ever gotten close but they made a racket sometimes that was for sure. These animals were taking delicate steps and were more quiet than a zebra, he was surprised they could hear them at all but he could smell them now and he grinned nodded at Nako to show he knew they were prey. "What do you think?" he asked in regards to his plan, he wouldn't have been offended of course if Nako had other ideas, Nako was the expert here.
Back to top Go down
Nako

Nako

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 am

Kifu's excitement was contagious. A hunting duo was bound to be more effective than his efforts alone, and the younger lion seemed determined enough so that Nako believed they had a real shot at success. Finding one animal, let alone a small herd in the Ashlands was an opportunity not to be missed. It was time for the lions to show the ladies that they were capable hunters. Of course, Nako's tawny pelt stuck out like a sore thumb in the ash, but the soot was clinging to his pelt as he went slinking along, offering some camouflage. He had to remind himself not to go ahead of Kifu, to let the young prince have a chance on his own. His mind raced along with his adrenaline as he paused to think of a course of action.

Instead, it was Kifu who was full of ideas that day. Nako fought against his expressive facial features to hide any semblance of surprise when Kifu swiftly suggested a plan that seemed feasible, causing the king to nod silently in agreement. The king's idea would have been an ambush, and this was a sort of ambush, so why not give it a try? It was impressive from someone with zero experience. Nako had always assumed the son of Heshima was a bright boy, and now he got to see this clever mind in action. His nostrils flared as he fought to keep himself from blowing their cover. He even heard the faint grumbling protests of his own empty belly, anticipating a big, tasty meal.

Despite the good ideas he had, Kifu was not yet confident enough to act without reassurance, and when he asked what Nako thought, the elder lion nodded quickly. "Yeah," he whispered in his husky voice. "It's a good idea. We can't waste any time though." Not if they were going to impress the lionesses of the Ashlands that evening with a big feast, one that the girls didn't have to work for at all. Knowing that Heshima would be pleased was not Nako's only motivation, since he genuinely wanted to help and guide Kifu. But imagining how happy she would be to see her beloved boy with his first kill certainly made the possibility of failure harder to swallow. His muscles readied for action, claws like daggers falling free as he prepared for a battle he had to win.
Back to top Go down
Kifu

Kifu

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:49 am

Kifu was pleased that Nako seemed to accept his idea, that meant that it was a good one, or so he hoped. Maybe it was a learning experience to let him fail on his own but he doubted it, both had empty bellies and so did the girls, he had a feeling that Nako wouldn't be letting them go hungry any time soon just for the sake of teaching. He'd been good to Heshima and Kifu in their time with him and Kifu had to admit he was growing fonder of the large caramel lion as the days wore on, trusting him more than he had any male since his father's cruel games with his family. Perhaps they weren't all bad after all, he nodded back silently before turning to face forward, his own claws running shallow but soft runs in the ashy ground.

Nako urged him to hurry and Kifu felt a slight flutter in his stomach but his determination was stronger than his apprehension. He would succeed, to impress his mother...and Zivia, he gripped the ground more and started his slow slink around the perimeter of where their prey was holed up. He stayed hidden the best he could, rubbing his pelt against any ash he could find to break up the ruddy auburn tones while he slunk along. A mantra had to keep playing in his head, I will not mess this up, I will not mess this up..., he made sure to keep it strictly in his thoughts and swallowed when he finally made it around behind the gazelle after having to pause quite a few times so they didn't get suspicious.

Another deep breath through his nose, a shifting of his haunches and a check to see if he could spot Nako, and he was ready. "I can do this..." he whispered to himself and grinned confidently, he could do this! He leaped from his hiding place with a roar, his claws out and a glint in his eye, but before he could make it fully into he air his foot caught in a tangle of dead plants and he came crashing to Earth quite short of his target. His face smooshed into the ash, he could hear the gazelle speeding away from him and he could only hope that Nako could salvage his failure. He rolled around, kicking, to free his leg from the trapping dead plants and shook his mane but his face was undeniably smeared from his forehead down to his nose with a black streak of ash.

He jumped forward and continued his chase towards the gazelle, unsure if Nako had already caught one or not.
Back to top Go down
Nako

Nako

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 1:50 am

As Kifu disappeared in one direction, Nako instinctually turned himself in the other. Try as he might to crouch low to the ashy ground, Nako's size was an obvious hinderance to most attempts to slinking, hiding, and being generally discreet; he was difficult to miss, but Kifu was smaller and likely more agile, as well. At least, this was what Nako assumed, never guessing that his young student would soon falter due to clumsiness. The king of the Ashlands had no desire and no intentions to fail that day, or to allow Kifu to fail in his lessons. No, he could already envision the pleased expressions that would adorn Heshima's lovely, delicate features when she saw how quick her son could learn -- and how well Nako could teach. It was a skill that his father could have taught him, but Nako was happy to be the one to do it. He could sense Kifu's sincerity and his eagerness.

Perhaps it was too much time spent alone, but Nako had to tendency to be overly imaginative. When he dreamt, he was dreaming big. One gazelle would do, but think of the surprise and the impression that two downed gazelle would bring to the others! His fancy was shaken away when Kifu's roar shocked him back to reality, and without thinking, his body straightened as every muscle tightened, preparing for the ensuing battle between life and death. He was standing at his full height, ears pricked forward, with scarcely a moment to realize that the frightened heard of would-be meals were fleeing in the wrong direction. In the blink of an eye, half a dozen frantic gazelle charged by, and Nako had to act quickly.

The hooves of the beasts kicked up so much ash that it was difficult to see the procession of escaping gazelle. Nako could only throw himself into the fray and hope for the best, not stopping to consider that he could get hurt in the small stampede. Now his bulk was useful as he threw his body, shoulder first, into a full grown and fully stunned gazelle, who was sent flying by the lion's massive weight. He didn't have a second to waste wondering where Kifu was or what had gone wrong as he regained his balance, but the flying debris burned his crimson eyes and Nako roared from the fiery pain -- and from the prospect of losing the injured gazelle. "Kifu! Get it!" He tried to rid his eyes of the ashes with his paw but only succeeded in rubbing more grim in, making it nearly impossible to see anything.
Back to top Go down
Kifu

Kifu

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Kifu heard Nako roar in pain and he doubled his speed, loping around to where he could see the small stampede of their meal running away. Nako was amidst them and the young lion looked horrified before he glared in a way that would have made Scar proud and his mother shudder. He charged forward at Nako's urging and gave him a passing glance to see that ash decorated his face and his eyes, that was likely his pain and relieved but determined the younger male ran for the gazelle that he had knocked from it's feet. This one would not get away, it was only just trying to struggle to it's feet when Kifu came upon it, powerful jaws locked onto the gazelle's throat.

It made a distressed noise and lashed out with a hoof, a small cut slicing along the male's shoulder but it was shallow and wouldn't scar. He let out a muffled yelp of pain but didn't let go and twisted himself sharply, rolling in just a way that a loud crack resounded through the canyon. He had broken it's neck. He'd seen Crocodiles roll in that manner before and their prey had died, now he knew why, the youth was dangerous in his cleverness sometimes without realizing it and he released the gazelle with a proud grin. He turned back however with concern for Nako and hurried towards him, "Nako, Nako are you all right? I got the gazelle! I broke it's neck!" he informed the older lion and there was pride in his tone, he could have bounced around like a giddy little cub but he settled for sitting near the older lion and bouncing his tail around.

Oh his mother would be so proud! Zivia would be impressed! He'd just omit that little stumble of his...his paw came to his nose, touching it with a slight wince. His muzzle would be sore for a day or two but it was worth it to get the pride fed and to show that he could hunt and take care of himself if he needed to. It was the most liberating feeling he'd ever felt, to finally learn something that was normal for a lion felt good, he was done being coddled and it was finally time for him to start growing up as a lion should have. Thanks to Nako. He gave an affectionate look towards the male that he hoped was unnoticed due to the ash in the others eyes, but he was pleased with him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Awkward Conversation   An Awkward Conversation Empty

Back to top Go down

An Awkward Conversation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TLK: Dark Horizon :: Everything The Light Touches :: Lowlands :: Ashlands :: Half-Peak-
Jump to: