HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]
Latest topics
» Bright Star Weyr
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:48 am by Guest

» New Harry Potter Role Play, Just Started!
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:29 pm by Guest

» RULLORE::Fantasy Horse RPG
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm by Guest

» Sohtrie's Source
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 am by Guest

» The Island Role Play
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 pm by Guest

» Shinobi Chronicles: Fall of the Reform
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 4:45 pm by Guest

» Kingdom Hearts: Light's Rebirth
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 am by Guest

» Farewell
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 am by Ismahel

» Lovespell [jcink]
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 pm by Guest

Census
The Pridelanders
Scar & Zira
♂04 ♀05

The Outlanders
Kiume & --
♂04 ♀02

The Coldlanders
Ismahel & --
♂03 ♀03

The Shadowlanders
Ni & Abuto
♂07 ♀03

The Desertlanders
-- & Quanna
♂02 ♀03

The Lowlanders
Nyota & Duara
♂02 ♀09

The Ashlanders
Nako & Heshima
♂02 ♀03

The Rogues
♂04 ♀04

The Other Species
♂03 ♀00

Total: 63
♂31 ♀32

* - Character Found in Want Ads

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 159 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 pm

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Giza

Giza

Pride Points : 448321

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger Empty
PostSubject: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 2:52 pm

The pair of jungle cats had traveled throughout the dark of the night, with a bright, full moon to illuminate their path. Neither Giza nor Upendo had any clue where they were going. They only knew that they must continue, for their sake and for their lost siblings. Now the sun was beginning its steady descent in the western sky, painting the horizon unimaginable shades of rose and violet, indigo and fuschia. The dry ground of the savannah was already beginning to feel like an oven beneath their paws, and so the two decided to rest. It had been weeks since they left the Lowlands, and so far, they had no success. Upendo easily fell into a deep slumber, and Giza sat watching him for a long while, feeling both sad and happy to have him so close.

Only Giza was restless, despite her exhaustion, and despite her best efforts, sleep never came to her that morning. The seemingly endless days of youth had all blended together, and now the russet lioness had stopped growing. Giza was now as tall as she would ever be, though she was a full head shorter than the average lioness, and her pelt clung to her bones in such a way that made her appear slender, almost hungry-looking. This trait she had inherited from her father, who had never been a strong, formidable lion. Ebony nostrils flared as Giza tred carefully away from her friend as he slept. Perhaps if she could find a zebra foal, or a sickly gazelle to feed Upendo and herself, the day's journey would be less torturous than the previous day's exertions.

She had only strayed a short distance when the scent of another of her kind met her senses, and she instantly froze in her tracks. So far on their trek, the pair had had good luck when it came to rogues. Sky blue eyes flashed around cautiously, but they did not detect the presence of a big, hulking lion. Still, her nose was convinced that there was a stranger present, and her muscles remained tight and rigid; ready. "Hello?" she called out, more meekly than she had intended. At least Upendo was nearby if something went wrong, she reasoned to herself as she took a few more timid steps forward. And though she was no longer an adolescent, the awkwardness of those months had yet to leave Giza. Without seeing the rock under foot, the lioness was sent tumbling, tripping over and over until she landed in a dusty heap on her belly, the air knocked clean out of her.

Last edited by Giza on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kauli

Kauli

Pride Points : 422823

PostSubject: Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 pm

The sun was slowly setting and Kauli knew that it was going to get dark out very quickly. He needed to find some shelter because he knew around this time that hyenas liked to prowl. Kauli's footsteps became faster and his walk kicked up into a slow run. His blue eyes searched almost desperately for a rock, hold, cave, anything that would protect him. He slowed to a trot and finally stopped once he saw the first few stars coming out. Kauli was scared and you could see that through his wide eyes. Sure he was brave at times, but when it came to his size against a hyena he was no match. It was like a fly on an elephant. Kauli caught the scent of something, but he didn't take the time to ponder what it was. His ears laid against his head and he took off at a run again, hoping to find some shelter soon.

The night sky was fully dark now and the moonlight lit his path. If he followed the path would it lead him to safety? Kauli, nonetheless, followed the path that the moon had lit up. He ran for what seemed like forever, even if it may have only been a few minutes. Still no caves or signs of anything. The smell was certainly getting stronger and Kauli's heart would beat just a little faster as he ran. The rustle of the grass only made Kauli run faster, his little paws making soft padding noises on the ground below him. He hoped he wasn't attracting too much attention to himself, but it seemed that the grass was already swaying with something other than himself. "Hello?" Kauli didn't hear the softness of the voice, he just heard a voice.

That was when something fell right in front of Kauli, causing him to skid to a stop with his paws spread out from each other, his ears pressed against his head, his hind end was lower to the ground in attempt to bolt the other way, wide eyed and with an open mouth he stared at whatever fell in front of him. Kauli didn't do anything, but he stood there frozen. Fear struck his body that he couldn't even scream... Not that he would scream anyway. It took Kauli a good few moments to see that it was a lioness, which made him a bit more comfortable, but still scared. What if these were here lands to protect? He was trespassing wasn't he? Kauli took a few long strides back and kept his eyes on her. "I-... I..." Kauli didn't know what to say. "I'm sorry, I was just walking and it was dark and I didn't know what you were, but you fell in front of me and... And-" Kauli stopped his blabbing once he saw she was still laying there. He stood up a bit straighter and examined her for a moment, tilting his head to the side. "A-Are you ok?" he asked, taking a step forward and lowering his muzzle down toward her.

Back to top Go down
Giza

Giza

PostSubject: Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 4:56 pm

As Giza lay there flat, she felt grateful that Upendo had not been present to witness her fall. But before she could rise, she realized she was definitely no longer alone there. She could sense it before she looked up, but when she did, the moonlit shadows cast by the cub gave the illusion that the lion before her was much larger than he was in actuality. Giza stared at the long shadow, still stunned, as a stranger's voice reached her. The little voice came as a shock, and finally she pushed herseld into a sitting position with her front legs. From that height, she now found herself looking down upon a much smaller creature than her mind had anticipated, with a shaggy brown mane and clear blue eyes, even brighter than her own.

An unconscious chuckle broke through her dark lips, a low laugh similar to the sound of one being choked. Her breath had not been fully regained, and she inhaled slowly, sucking the night air deep into her sore lungs. "Why, you're just a little thing!" She finally remarked, when she had at last recovered herself. "I probably scared you more than you scared me." She brushed off his last question with a nod. The color of his pelt was a bit of a surprise now. His fur was lighter than her own, but he looked as if he could be her long lost brother. For a moment she wondered if indeed, he was another of Scar's progeny she didn't know about, but she quickly dismissed this idea. He looked too strong to be one of her wretched father's unfortunate creations. He reminded her of her siblings; not one in particular, but certain traits from each, and she felt a dull ache in her heart.

As harmless as the cub seemed, a thought rushed into her brain and set her ill at ease once again. Her dark rimmed ears flicked forward; where there was a cub, more often than not, there would be a parent or two following behind. But perhaps the little fellow was simply lost. His wide eyed expression were characteristic of someone who was misplaced and frightened. Giza knew from personal experience, though a couple of years had gone by since she had been in the same predicament. "It's awful late to be out here running around, kid. Shouldn't you be asleep?" The russet lioness remained sitting, studying the young cub closely with pale, weary eyes.
Back to top Go down
Kauli

Kauli

PostSubject: Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 pm

Kauli stood there until she started moving and it seemed like he came out of a trance, stumbling backwards as she stood. Yup... She was a large lioness from where he was standing. Well... She wasn't standing, she was sitting. She was darker in color compared to him, but she had the same blue eyes. Almost the same. Kauli rose his head from it's lowered position and he took a few steps back to stand a good distance away just in case. Plus, he was a young cub and she was a lioness... A stride for her was probably four strides for him so if she did want to attack him, she could easily catch him. He wasn't the fastest thing on the planet. When she chuckled he simply stood there, laying his ears against his head. "Why, you're just a little thing!" Kauli's eyes narrowed slightly at her words. "I'm not little." he protested. After a moment he let his eyes soften back to their usual look and he sunk back a little. "Well... I won't be fore long..." he added rather quietly, almost mumbling. At her next comment, Kauli simply nodded and he let himself relax a bit.

Kauli's blue eyes ventured up to the dark sky above them. Yeah... It was a little late, wasn't it? Asleep? He wasn't that young! Uhmm... Yeah, he probably should have been asleep but he wasn't going to argue with her. Kauli thought for a moment and flicked his ears to take a look around them. Was she here alone? Maybe she was on a hunting trip for a pride. Yeah... Maybe she could ask give him a scrap of her catch? His mouth watered a bit, but he didn't dare ask her for anything quite yet. He didn't know how to answer her comment so he gave a soft shrug. "I guess I should be sleeping..." he nodded softly. "But it's too dangerous." Kauli added and glanced around them again.

It was very dangerous at night and he didn't feel comfortable sleeping. He maybe would rest his eyes for a good few minutes, but he never got the sleep he really needed anymore. Good thing he was a cub and had a bit of energy to counteract the tiredness. However, out in the night were hyenas, rogues, snakes, and other animals that could easily overpower a cub. "Are you with a pride?" he decided to ask. His blue eyes went up to her and he took a seat on the ground himself. Maybe she was patrolling outside of her pride's lands or something like that and he could maybe get entrance into the pride? Maybe his mother was here? Although Kauli wasn't going to say much more because he didn't want to get his hopes up just yet.
Back to top Go down
Giza

Giza

PostSubject: Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 7:59 pm

As Kauli reacted to her first statement with drooping ears and narrowed eyes, Giza quickly realized her mistake. She had no experience with cubs, other than the fact that she had been one herself not terribly long ago. But what cub liked to be reminded that they were small and essentially helpless? She lowered herself back down to the hard ground again, lying on her belly before him to demonstrate that she had no intentions of making a meal out of him. "Between you and me, I’m not so big myself when it comes to other grown-ups. It’s not so bad to be short." From the size of the cub, Giza could only guess his age but regardless he didn’t look like a runt. In a couple of years, he would likely tower over the lioness, and the thought made her laugh inwardly.

Her amusement was short lived, however. By now, Giza assumed that the cub was indeed lost, and her expression turned serious. The savannah wasn’t safe for a lone lioness, let alone a young cub. "You’re right about that." The next question she had to ask caused Giza to hesitate, for fear of the response she would receive. She inhaled a deep breath and exhaled in a sigh, preparing herself for a response that was likely to be a sad one. "Where is your mom?" Her chin lifted from the dirt to peer around once more, hoping but not expecting to see an anxious mother searching for her dear lost boy. But again, there was nothing there but the two lions, save for a random few acacia trees illuminated by the moon and the stars.

His question about her pride only confirmed her worries. Clearly the cub didn’t know whether he was in claimed territory or in neutral grassland, which meant he was far from home – if he had a home at all. Dark lips pursed as her mind raced. "Well, I do belong to a pride, but the Lowlands are pretty far from here. These lands are free for anyone to travel through." Another heavy sigh parted her jaws. What could she do now? She had left her home for a specific purpose, and rescuing misplaced cubs wasn’t it. But then, she couldn’t very well let the cub go off alone to fend for himself. She felt guilty at the very notion of it. Far off in the distance, the sound of an animal in distress fell upon the ebony rimmed ears of the lioness, and she could feel her heart racing again within her chest.
Back to top Go down
Kauli

Kauli

PostSubject: Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Kauli's blue eyes watched as she laid down and for a bit more to his level. However she rested her head on the ground, but he decided to keep sitting. With her laying down the way she was, he was pretty much eye level with her. The only downside is he'd have to look down a little and she had to look up at little, but a good movement of the eyes could take care of that little dilemma. Kauli's head gave a small tilt when she said she wasn't big in size compared to other grown-ups. "Really?" he asked. He didn't remember much of the other lionesses, but his mother was pretty big in size. Of course the king was much bigger, but they were always bigger than lionesses. "Well," Kauli paused for a moment, giving a small shrug. "You're pretty big to me so I don't think you're small." Kauli said, looking over to her with a small nod.

Kauli nodded softly when she agreed with him that it wasn't safe out here. She could probably scare off some hyenas, but he surely couldn't. "Where is your mom?" The question made Kauli's ears perk a little. How was he supposed to really answer that? He was looking for her, so he didn't really know where she was. "Well I- I... I..." Kauli thought of what to say to her. "I don't know where she is, but I'm looking for her." Kauli sat up a little straighter, trying to have some confidence left in himself to find her. That confidence didn't last too long before his chest collapsed and he dropped his ears. "Well... I was looking for her." Kauli added a bit quieter than normal. It had been a long time and if he hand't found her already, he knew he probably never would.

Her answer made him pick up his ears off of his head a little. "How far?" Kauli sat up a little, wondering if his mother did walk that way to find that pride she was in. "Is it that way?" he asked while nodding his head in the direction that was opposite from the Lowlands. "That's the direction my mother is heading." Kauli gave a smile, starting to get a bit excited. "Have you seen her? She's lighter in color and, uhmm, she has green eyes and she should be walking with a limp. She's very nice and, uhmm, a bit older." Kauli said probably as fast as she could so he could get information out of her quickly. Kauli was getting himself a little too worked up for probably a disappointment.
Back to top Go down
Giza

Giza

PostSubject: Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:25 pm

A light smile appeared on her muzzle as Kauli tried to reassure Giza that she wasn’t all that small. Already she could tell the male cub was friendly by nature, which could be a bad thing out amongst strangers. It was good that she had found him before someone ravenous did. The russet lioness soon learned that perhaps it wasn’t Kauli who was lost, but rather his mother. "How long has she been missing?" She then fell silent for a lingering minute as the pieces of the puzzle began to fit together in her head. Again in the distance, she heard the death cries of a creature pursued by an unknown and unseen hunter (or hunters), and it took all of Giza’s courage to keep from starting. The look in her sky blue eyes remained calm, despite her growing anxieties.

The cub seemed to perk up when he thought Giza could help him locate his mother. She followed his nod as he indicated the direction his mother was traveling. "Well, no, the jungle is in the opposite direction. And it’s pretty far from here." She listening quietly as the cub explained what his mother looked like. Walking with a limp? Oh boy… Giza’s heart felt then as if it had dropped into her stomach. It was hard enough to be a lioness alone in unfamiliar territory without suffering from an injury. The adjectives he used to describe his mother – very nice and a bit older didn’t bode well, either. The mental image of a light colored lioness struggling to escape flashed into her head; a frightened lioness, unable to run full speed, pursued by a lion, or maybe a pack of hungry hyenas. In her imagination, Giza feared the worst. It was a wonder that the cub was still alive.

She made a decision in that moment, without consulting Upendo first. She simply couldn’t let the cub leave alone, helpless. Never had Giza been one for responsibility, but she was older now. She didn’t want to alarm the youngster with her assumptions, so she kept her fears for his mother to herself. "What’s your name? I’m Giza. My friend Upendo and I are traveling that way. We’re looking for our family, too. You can come with us." A nod of her own was given in the direction he had originally indicated. Finally, she pushed herself up from the ground again, her worries getting the better of her as she glanced about wearily. But the only sound she heard now was the rumbling protests of her own empty belly. "Are you as hungry as I am?" Her nostrils began to test the air for any sign of something edible.
Back to top Go down
Kauli

Kauli

PostSubject: Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 1:00 am

The small smile on Giza's maw made Kauli relax a bit more. He was glad she was smiling and not so freaked out like he was. Nonetheless he returned her small smile with one of his own. When she asked how long his mother had been missing, Kauli's smile quickly disappeared. How long had she been missing for? Kauli took a bit of time to think. It felt like forever, but it may have been a week and a half or two. "A little while." Kauli decided not to put a number on it since he wasn't so sure. It hasn't been too long, but it was long enough. "She probably just went a different path than I did... I'll just have to keep going until I find her." It was a little obvious that Kauli wasn't going to give up until he found his mother. However, there was some desperation in his voice.

Kauli flicked a ear in the direction of the distressed animal in the distance. He rose his head slightly and looked back over to her. "What's that?" he asked a bit nervously. Kauli's blue eyes went up to Giza, but she seemed to be calm so the cub decided it was nothing and he calmed himself down a bit. The direction he chose was true right direction, but Kauli would cover every single inch of this Earth if it meant finding his mother. Giza, however, had a look of worry flicker through her eyes that the cub caught, but he decided to ignore it.

"What's your name?..." Kauli let the subject change into a bit of a lighter mood. Giza? Giza. That was a pretty name, and a bit unusual. "My name is Kauli." the cub answered with a bit of a raised head. Yes, Kauli would always be a bit proud of himself. Cocky might not be the right word to use, but being a male cub he could get very cocky. Kauli listened to her as she spoke and he cheered up a bit upon hearing her quest and invitation. "You are?" he asked in response to her looking for her family. "Yeah! I'd love to go with you both." Kauli said with a bright smile on his face. "Are you as hungry as I am?" By this time Giza was standing over the cub. Kauli pushed himself to his feet and nodded, suddenly realizing how his stomach seemed to turn at the sound of real food. Real meat and not some lizards or whatever he could scrap up. "Starving, actually." Kauli spoke, looking up to her. He listened for the sound earlier and didn't seem to hear it so well. Whatever it was, it was gone now and probably swept away into a dark cave somewhere.

Back to top Go down
Giza

Giza

PostSubject: Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Kauli’s vague response about how long has passed since he last saw his mother wasn’t very helpful, and Giza pursed her dark lips thoughtfully. The cub was determined to find someone who might never be found, but it wasn’t Giza’s job to destroy his hopes. It wasn’t her job to watch out for the cub either, but her own painful memories of being alone and terrified made it impossible to leave the cub behind. Her tail swished behind her as her mind raced, but she couldn’t think of anything to say that wouldn’t offer false hope, so she let the subject float away like a fallen leaf on a river.

If Giza appeared calm, it was only a façade maintained for the sake of the youngster. Inside she felt a growing sense of fear; the longer she was away from Upendo, she more nervous she felt. As Kauli asked what the sound in the distance was, Giza just shook her head slowly, once again scanning the dark horizon for any sign that she and the cub would be next. ”I don’t know,” she responded honestly after a moment. It took a few seconds for her to snap out of it. She saw Kauli look to her again for reassurance and she forced a smile. ”It’s probably nothing. Don’t worry about it.”

The lioness nodded again when the cub offered his name, noting the way he lifted his head with a lingering sense of pride in himself. She guessed that he hadn’t experienced anything too horrendous while wandering on his own, for it was obvious his spirit had not been broken. Perhaps he simply hadn’t realized yet how hopeless his search likely was, and Giza was not going to be the one to point that out. She felt a great sense of relief when the cub agreed to join her and Upendo, and she even breathed a soft sigh as she ushered Kauli back, away from the awful sounds that had ceased and away from whoever or whatever had caused them. ”You will like Upendo. He is very nice.” But for now, Giza knew it was up to her. If there was food to be found, it was her responsibility to find it, since she was the oldest. She stepped slowly back in the direction where she had left Upendo to rest, eyes darting about wildly.

For once, fortune decided to throw Giza a bone. As her stomach growled impatiently, the familiar scent of zebra greeted her nostrils, and she stopped in her tracks. ”Today is our lucky day, Kauli. Smell that?” Her ebony nostrils flared, and she instinctively lowered herself close to the ground again, crawling on her belly over a small hill. On the other side was a zebra, but it was laying prostrate on the ground, as if it was already dead. The heavy smell of blood was absent however, leaving Giza to wonder. ”I think it's already dead! How convenient.” But she didn’t see the animal’s chest rising and falling from a distance, and didn’t realize that it would fight back like a zebra possessed if approached by either of the young lions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger   What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger Empty

Back to top Go down

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TLK: Dark Horizon :: Everything The Light Touches :: Savannah :: Grasslands-
Jump to: