HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]
Latest topics
» Bright Star Weyr
Strangers EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:48 am by Guest

» New Harry Potter Role Play, Just Started!
Strangers EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:29 pm by Guest

» RULLORE::Fantasy Horse RPG
Strangers EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm by Guest

» Sohtrie's Source
Strangers EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 am by Guest

» The Island Role Play
Strangers EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 pm by Guest

» Shinobi Chronicles: Fall of the Reform
Strangers EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 4:45 pm by Guest

» Kingdom Hearts: Light's Rebirth
Strangers EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 am by Guest

» Farewell
Strangers EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 am by Ismahel

» Lovespell [jcink]
Strangers EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 pm by Guest

Census
The Pridelanders
Scar & Zira
♂04 ♀05

The Outlanders
Kiume & --
♂04 ♀02

The Coldlanders
Ismahel & --
♂03 ♀03

The Shadowlanders
Ni & Abuto
♂07 ♀03

The Desertlanders
-- & Quanna
♂02 ♀03

The Lowlanders
Nyota & Duara
♂02 ♀09

The Ashlanders
Nako & Heshima
♂02 ♀03

The Rogues
♂04 ♀04

The Other Species
♂03 ♀00

Total: 63
♂31 ♀32

* - Character Found in Want Ads

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 159 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 pm

Strangers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Akili

Akili

Pride Points : 438026

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Strangers   Strangers EmptySun May 27, 2012 1:40 am

On normal days, the pair born to Vumbi were seldom far apart from each other. At almost a year old, they had a thirst for adventure that no warnings could quench, and they could go far before anyone noticed they were gone at all. But this time, the male cub had ventured out on his own, even further than his adventures with Adhra had ever taken him. It was the smell in the air that led Akili to the jungle, the scent of moisture that was so scant, so precious in the desert. The cub already knew that water was essential to life, and his ashen nose brought him right to the border of the Lowlands, tempted by the promise of a cool drink - hopefully one not gritty with sand, as he was accustomed to.

The rolling dunes slowly melted into a different landscape, painted with bright shades of green Akili did not know existed until that moment. His dark sapphire eyes lit up with delight at the sight of the jungle, and his pace quickened in spite of his legs' weary state. Now he regretted his sister's absence, knowing that Adhra would have been fascinated by the unusual scene, as well. But there would be time enough to show her the newly discovered place, and a little thrill shot through Akili because he was indeed alone. He walked carelessly over imaginary borders, from one kingdom into the next, his head held high and eyes filled with wonder.

Here, his sandy pelt seemed to stand out among the branches, vines, and the cool, moist soil that greeted his hot paws like a welcome mat. A happy sigh parted his thin lips as Akili breathed in all the new smells, drank in all the beautiful sights and the sounds of birds twittering above merrily. In all his life, Akili had never guessed such a place existed, and he stood in awe of it all. "Wow," he exhaled under his breath. "I have to tell everyone about this place!" Akili didn't quite understand the concept of territories, and how prides were expected to stay in theirs. He felt totally alone, in a magical place. The sight of the river made his mouth fall open in astonishment, and in a fit of giddiness, he ran for the water's edge to drink noisily.
Back to top Go down
Nyima

Nyima

Pride Points : 441827

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Nyima was often bored with the other cubs, for all they did was sleep - save for Upendo. But, he had wandered off to do where Nyima could not find him, much to her displeasure. She had decided that exploring by herself might be quite enjoyable, so she stood up and walked to the cave mouth. A yawn escaped her and she stretched out her limbs which were stiff from sitting still for so long. She sat down and reached her leg up to scratch behind her ear whilst her eyes scanned for somewhere to go. The left, or the right, was the question. She sniffed at the air and looked around, before choosing a direction at random and walking that way. As she neared the trees, she looked behind her to check no one was watching her. She'd grown tired of her parents constantly following her. However, neither were in sight, and the others of the Pride were all doing their own thing - too busy to notice the little Princess make a break for it. She plodded along quietly and slipped between the trees, crawling through the underbrush until she'd reached the other side. In the jungle, the air was still and quiet, filled with peace and calm. She stopped to breath in the scent of the tree's and life around her.

The light that filtered through the trees became strange within the jungle, as their was a certain green theme to it. It was due to said green theme, that the light was changed to a different hue, a one of light green. It added to the serenity and the beauty of the jungle around her. Delighted that she had escaped with none the wiser, something that she would most likely be in trouble for when she returned, she set off at a happy trot, prancing and pouncing on rocks, growling playfully at small critters and even catching a lizard. She wasn't hungry though, and the poor lizard squirmed in such a desperate manner that the sweet-hearted cub let it run away. She halted as a thought hit her - what if that little lizard had a family, was the daddy even and had to take care of the baby lizards? She felt horrible and vowed to never eat a lizard ever again because it was ever so cruel to eat something with a home, a family, children, maybe even a mummy lizard. She couldn't imagine how distraught she would be if someone out one of her mother's. Why she'd be livid as well as horribly upset!

Un-known to Nyima, her body had been automatically drawing her to where it smelt water as she slowly grew thirstier from her wandering's. She didn't realise until she heard the familiar sound and suddenly noticed the dry ache in her throat that signalled her thirst. She was about to burst out and run to the water to take a drink when she spied someone else there. A cub, she'd never seen him before in her life. Eyes narrowed, she tilted her head and decided that he looked harmless enough. Besides, her thirst conquered her fear of strangers and she casually trotted along to take a drink from the river. After she'd drunk her full, she slowly walked towards him and stopped about halfway. He looked absolutely desperate with the way he'd been drinking the water - as if he hadn't drunk in months. "I don't mean to be rude, but who are you?" Nyima asked in her kindest voice so as not to sound accusatory or hostile. After all, he could well be a new playmate.
Back to top Go down
Akili

Akili

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 6:29 pm

The sight of the young lioness surprised Akili, but his expression remained stoic. It was embarrassing to have someone sneak up on him, and it could have been very dangerous if someone much larger and hungrier had discovered the trespasser. He was a friendly cub though, and offered a timid smile. "I'm Akili! What's your name?" He announced with a grin. His name was the only thing his mother had ever given him, and he liked it just fine. Vumbi had not been seen in the desert for weeks now, and both of her cubs knew deep down that she would not likely be returning. Akili assumed she was searching for her lost mate, the father he had never met. He did not realize that the very sight of him had made his mother's life unbearable. In any case, he looked curiously at the female cub. He was a pale lion himself, but he had never seen a white lion firsthand, or a lion with white markings such as the young lioness before him. She was a few months older than himself, and he was intrigued by the sight of her.

His eyes traveled from Nyima to the jungle vines overhead, and he clicked his tongue, impressed by the sights. "This is a nice place you got here. What's it called? I should have known there would be a pride living here already. There isn't much water at all where I come from." It did not occur to Akili that he was speaking so plainly to the heir apparent of the kingdom he had stumbled upon. It would not surprise him to learn the exotic looking lioness was indeed royalty, if she felt inclined to share the information with him. The stranger kept his distance, unwilling to make the lioness anxious, sitting at the water's edge now to make himself more comfortable. He had traveled a long way that day, and his muscles twitched beneath his sandy pelt. Before long, all of his journeying would create a strong lion, but for now, he was nearly a year old and appeared harmless before the jungle princess.
Back to top Go down
Nyima

Nyima

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 8:43 am

Nyima sniffed at the air, as she was attempting to train herself in recognising the different scents. She tilted her head, foreign scents all over him that were far from her cozy, jungle paradise of a home. She scratched her claws lightly against the earth as she thought, trying to pick out scents she did recognise. The jungle scent was on him as he was currently within it, and she could smell another lion. There was something else too, that seemed to constantly be around him. It was a dirt-like scent that made her nose wrinkle lightly in distaste at such a strong, foreign scent. She exhaled and the scents left her nose. His timid smile was soon replaced with a grin as he exclaimed his own name. She liked it, it was a fun name. Akili! "Hello Akili," she responded softly, sitting down and wrapping her tail around her. She held herself in a dignified manner like she had often seen her mother do. She smiled warmly at him as he asked her own name, and with her trusting nature she found no reason at all not to eagerly give it to him. "Nyima, i'm Nyima." She introduced, dipping her head in a light bow. She saw his eyes rest on the trademark circles under her eye and tilted her head at him.

Nyima's ears pricked up as she heard a rustling in a bush, and she turned her head to the side to watch a snake slither through. She tensed, but remembered that this type of snake was not poisonous - it only hurt when it bit. She growled anyway, moving into a crouch position as she'd seen mummy do so. She waggled her butt, growling again and batting a paw in it's general direction as the snake slithered away. Impressed with herself, she giggled and turned back to him. She eagerly nodded her head at his compliment of her homelands. "It is beautiful, isn't it? Mummy and mama don't like me wandering too often, but I think we're very safe in here. Out there is dangerous, didn't you know? You shouldn't walk so far, Akili, what if you got hurt?" She asked in concern. Ever a caring cub, she worried about his journey from wherever it was with hardly any water, to here where water was the least of their worries. "This is called the Lowlands, that's what mama and mummy always call it. Where do you come from?" She asked curiously, before realising she might be prying. "Oh! Sorry, you don't have to answer that." She beamed at him, her ears tilting around constantly as she took in the sounds around her.
Back to top Go down
Akili

Akili

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:21 pm

The name offered was repeated in his mind so that he would not forget it, but it was a nice, pretty name. Akili doubted he would not remember it, since he so seldom made new friends. The lioness was not fully grown but she carried herself with a sense of grace and dignity that made Akili feel sheepish in her presence, even without realizing her title. "You have two moms? I don't have one, not anymore." The idea of two mothers was intriguing news. Now, he was still young, and he had no clue how cubs came to be, but he was fairly certain a lion was necessary in the mix as well. Akili had no mother at all, and for a moment he felt a pang of envy towards the female who was lucky enough to have a pair of them. "I've heard that it's dangerous, but that hasn't been my experience," he replied, but his tone was not boastful or arrogant. Nothing bad had happened to him yet, and he was quick enough to escape if danger arose.

When Nyima apologized for inquiring about his home, Akili gave her a quizzical look. Why wouldn't he answer such a question? The cub felt as if he had nothing to hide, and no one had ever told him not to talk to strangers. Seeing no harm, he was truthful in return. "I live in the Desertlands. It's.. ya know, in the desert," he said with a good humored laugh, nodding in the direction that he had come. But he quickly realized that Nyima probably didn't know what the desert was, if she wasn't allowed to wander. "It's nothing like the Lowlands. It's very, very hot, no trees. We don't have anything like this." He gestured towards the wide, rushing river with a forepaw. His dark blue eyes were still wide with impressed wonder. "You're lucky." The way the female smiled made it quite impossible not to join her good mood, and Akili offered his lopsided grin in return.
Back to top Go down
Nyima

Nyima

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 am

Nyima was now almost bubbly with the amount of excitement inside of her. She loved the prospect of making a new friend, it made her feel happy. Akili. Such a different name, but then, Nyima mostly knew of only female names due to the Lowlanders pride containing but one male - Upendo. And the only other males she knew were Sakitu and Ismahel. She vaguely knew the other cubs mentioned their father being Shinikizo, but apart from those 4 names she knew no other male ones. She stored it away in her mind for safe keeping, and hoped she wouldn't forget it any time soon, though she was un-aware she may not see Akili for a while after this first encounter. She nodded her head eagerly as he questioned her having two mother's. She knew by now that this wasn't exactly the most normal thing, but to her she didn't see anything wrong with it. She loved both of her mother's very much.

She tilted her head however at the knowledge that he didn't even have one mother. "What do you mean?" She asked curiously. Nyima'd heard differently, but decided not to argue with what could be a new friend. She smiled as she sat back and her tail curled around her. She giggled slightly at him and looked past him, as if she was looking in the general direction of the Desertlands with curiosity, but her gaze landed back on him. "Desert? What's a desert?" She asked. His answer captivated her attention whole-heartedly and she tilted her head. "Really? You think i'm lucky?" She looked around her and nodded her head then. Though she knew nothing other than plentiful food, water, shade and plenty of places to play, she was beginning to realise that not everyone had this. "I guess I am. Don't you have anywhere like this at all? No jungle? I wonder what that's like!" She was interested by this. How could he live somewhere with no jungle? She looked at the river and frowned. He didn't have much water either? Well, if the desert was hot she guessed she could see why. "Why would you live there, then?" She asked.
Back to top Go down
Akili

Akili

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Akili’s expression turned pensive and serious when he was questioned about his lack of maternal influence. ”My mother went away. She never really took care of us anyway, she was just sort of there, but not there at the same time. I think she was sad so she had to leave.” And most likely, this was true, for Vumbi had been more than unhappy after her run-in with Korofi that had left her an unwilling mother. But Akili had it all wrong, and he had no idea the truth behind his existence.

When Nyima asked why Akili lived in such a place, his mouth opened as if to respond, but he stopped. He had never really thought about it before. Why did he live in a place that was so darn hot and uncomfortable? Sure, he was used to it since it was all he had ever known, but why did his pride call the Desertlands home when there were other, more hospitable locations to choose from? ”I guess it’s because that’s where we’ve always lived, just like your family has probably lived here for a long, long time,” he offered after a moment of thought. ”Maybe we don’t really get to pick where we live, it just happens to us, and some of us are luckier than others. And I think you’re very lucky,” he stated with a firm nod and his signature half smile.

That wasn’t to say that Akili overtly disliked the desert he had been born into. But as he gazed around again at the greenery, peered at the clear rushing water, Akili began to suspect he had been ripped off by chance. Now conflicting feelings surfaced: loyalty for the queen who had practically raised him in the barren kingdom, and a new sense of a better life somewhere else. But then, maybe Nyima would think the desert was better than her homeland if she saw it for herself? Then, a curious idea entered his mind. ”I can’t really describe what it’s like, not properly. You should come and see it for yourself! I could show you the way. It's very different!” The cub was fairly confident he could remember his way back. Of course, if he had any idea that his new friend was the princess and heir to the jungle kingdom, he likely wouldn’t be trying to lead her astray.
Back to top Go down
Nyima

Nyima

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 5:20 am

Nyima felt a surge of sympathy for the stranger cub as he told her that his mother was sad, and had went away. Not that she'd really taken care of them anyway, which made her even more upset and distressed. She didn't like the thought of a cub growing up without a mother, though that was mainly because she was raised by two and found the thought of being raised by one a little foreign. She frowned and looked down at her paws. "Do you have anyone else to take care of you? A father?" She inquired.

She noticed immediately the way he opened his mouth, as if to respond, but then paused. He seemed to be considering it himself, and Nyima found herself extremely curious over this land that she'd never seen before - or heard of, or even imagined in her wildest dreams. Barren lands with barely any tree's or water. She couldn't imagine why you'd want to stay there, but his answer satisfied her. She couldn't imagine living anywhere other than the Lowlands, because it was where she was being raised and she knew her whole family had lived there. His reasoning made sense to her. "That makes sense! I guess I am lucky, aren't I?" She pondered in a thoughtful tone, looking around her again. She was now very grateful for where she lived. She looked back to him and smiled in return.

Nyima was surprised that she had been living without even knowing or thinking that there were places that did not look anything like the Lowlands, or have the beauty and plentifulness that the Lowlanders had. She'd taken it all for granted, and now she felt lucky. She was grateful for these lands, the water, the shade, the beauty, the plentiful food, and she was grateful for her mothers. To not have a mother seemed a horrible fate to her, and she felt another surge of sympathy. Her head dipped slightly for a moment as she contemplated the new information that had been given to her, before she raised it once more to look at him. Her eyes widened and filled with both hesitance and excitement at his idea. Her good and bad side battled it out, but eventually the curiousness of a young cub mixed with that first feeling of rebellion were too much for Nyima to resist. "Oh, that sounds like fun! It's not too dangerous, is it? Mama and mummy will be mad if I get hurt."
Back to top Go down
Akili

Akili

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Akili's expression matched Nyima's when she questioned about his sire, a small frown crossing his lips. He looked away, out into the distance where the neutral territories were. There, he assumed, his father lived. Maybe his mother had joined him there? But Akili would never know, and he gave a faint shrug. "Oh no, I don't have one of those, either. Never met him." The topic was uncomfortable for Akili, and he glanced back to Nyima with eyebrows knit thoughtfully. "Do you suppose I am unlucky, then?" If Nyima was lucky for having two mothers, and Akili had no parents to speak of, then in his mind, maybe he was the opposite. He was a smart boy, had never really dwelled on it, but now he began to wonder. Regardless, he pushed the thought away. It made him feel bad to see Nyima frown, so he nodded enthusiastically when she realized her own fortune.

It seemed Akili had been successful in convincing Nyima to commit her first act of rebellion, though that hadn't been his intention. "It's not terribly far, and I made it here unhurt," the male cub announced, having failed to realize that he had actually been traveling for the better part of the day. He had come further than he thought. "You'll be fine! I've got your back, Nyima." And he grinned. He also didn't know that his actions could easily be misconstrued as kidnapping, even though he didn't know the meaning of the word yet, and that the moment Nyima was discovered to be missing, the queens of the Lowlands would immediately panic. The princess had never strayed before, and these were dangerous times. But until her absence was noticed, Nyima had a rare moment of freedom, and as clever as Akili was, he didn't see a problem with that. In fact, he seemed overjoyed when Nyima agreed to accompany him back to the desert. It only seemed fair, after all, that she should see it, since he himself had happened upon her home. And given that his normal company was his sister or some of the grown ups of the pride, Akili was downright chipper to have made a new friend. He was already making plans for future visits, since he hadn't been caught yet.

He began to lead the way he had just traveled, in reverse, though a part of him didn't want to leave the river and the wonders of the jungle behind. He glanced over his shoulder periodically to be certain the female hadn't changed her mind and turned back. "Do you have any brothers and sisters? Are there other cubs around here? He thought of Adhra and regretted again that she wasn't present for the day's adventure, but he imagined she would be pleased to meet Nyima. "I have one sister. She's real nice, you'll like Adhra." She was also a little off, a little unpredictable, maybe moody.. But she was the only family that Akili had left and he thought the world of her. He stepped carefully over the damp jungle floor, but his gait was light. Akili was having a good day. Until, of course, Nyota realized her only cub was no longer safe in her territory. But until that moment, Akili was blissfully unaware of his serious pride faux pas. To him, Nyima was another cub, no different than he, save for her location and familial ties.
Back to top Go down
Nyima

Nyima

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:05 am

Nyima tilted her head and followed Akili's gaze out towards the neutral territories. She furrowed her brow lightly, concerned as to the whereabouts of his parents. It was hard for the youthful cub full of joy and excitement for life to fathom what it would be like to not have any parental figure to guide you along the way. Who would teach him to hunt? Who was there to be his shoulder to cry on? Who could he confide in, who could he know would always love him no matter what? Her sadness clearly showed in her eyes, for she was sad to think of a cub without parents. She considered his words in her mind, before she slowly nodded her head. He wasn't lucky in her mind, and though she was polite she didn't take into consideration that her words might be slightly on the rude side. "I suppose that you are, Akili." Nyima reached out her paw to rest it over his in a way of offering comfort.

Little did Akili know, this one act of rebellion would lead to a chain reaction of rebellious acts within Nyima that would change her personality so entirely that the next time they met, he would wonder what had happened to the innocent cub. Of course, Nyima would still be a polite lioness as she aged, but with a more cheeky attitude. She felt the bubble of excitement inside her, and the adrenaline pumped through her veins. She was suddenly very eager to get moving already and race out before either of her mothers - or any other member of the Lowlander Pride - could find the two of them and block them from running off. She also didn't want Akili to get in trouble either, as she knew he possibly wouldn't come back if he got in a lot of trouble. She felt sad at the thought of loosing her newest friend. Shaking her head, she let the thoughts fly away and she grinned at him in a slightly devilish manner without even realising it. "Good point. My mother's just wouldn't be pleased if I returned all covered in scratches and bruises, and you can be more than sure that they'd hunt down your scent and interrogate you," Nyima giggled lightly, though there was a slight serious tone to her voice. Nyima found that it was nice to have someone other than Upendo to spend her time with. It wasn't that she found him boring or anything, but because her fellow cub was aware of her status he didn't really let her do anything fun and adventurous.

Nyima stood up and began to follow after him, looking around with her eyes wide and full of excitement. Now that she'd tasted the adventure, felt the adrenaline pump through her veins, there was no going back for a while until she'd matured and grown. "Okay, but if we find any trouble, can we just run? I really don't want to fight some big scary lion," she said, trotting along beside him, though partly behind so he could lead. At the question, Nyima's expression fell slightly and she looked down at her paws, before her head snapped up once more. "Well, there are other cubs around here! There's Upendo, Malaika, Sakina and Giza. I do have a brother... but he doesn't..." Nyima sighed. "Dad took him." She finally told Akili. Nyima looked even more excited - a new friend? Two in one day! She grinned. "I can't wait to see your Pride!" She exclaimed, suddenly bounding in front of him. Though in typical, clumsy Nyima fashion she stumbled over her own paws and looked bewildered as she sat there, staring ahead. She lifted herself back up and giggled. "C'mon Akili!" She called over her shoulder.
Back to top Go down
Akili

Akili

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Unable to hide a frown, Akili saw the sadness in Nyima's eyes, but he saw more than that. Pity. He could appreciate that the young lioness had at least been honest with him, but he didn't want her to feel sorry for him. His head shook quickly, dismissing the negative thoughts. "It could be worse," he guessed, though at the moment, he was unable to think of how that could be true. He loved Quanna well enough, but at the end of the day, all Akili really had was his sister, and Adhra was a little.. off. But he was used to her unpredictable nature now, and he thought no less of her for it. It took a minute for Akili to think of something that would be even worse than being an orphan, and a laugh cut through the awkwardness he felt. "I could be a hyena." His tan nose wrinkled in distaste at the idea, and he hoped his joke would distract from the melancholy of his own life.

His tufted ears folded back when Nyima said her mothers would hunt him down and question him if he returned their daughter back in less than perfect shape. He still hadn't guessed that his new friend was a princess. If he had, maybe he wouldn't have suggested that Nyima leave with him. To Akili, she was just another cub. Rather than be dissuaded by the notion that he could get into trouble for leading her astray, he was even more determined to make sure the pretty jungle cat was safe and sound. "Hopefully they won't even notice that you're gone. But we'll be quick," he offered helpfully, but it was only a guess. At a bend in the river, Akili turned sharply to head towards the north.

Nyima worried that they would encounter someone bigger, but Akili shrugged it off as he trotted along. "That's fine by me, I guess I'm not really in the mood for a fight today," he said with a light laugh, because in reality, Akili was never in the mood to be aggressive. Unlike his wild, violent father, Akili didn't go out looking for trouble. Before he had a chance to ask about why her father had taken her brother away, the lioness burst out ahead of him on the path, and Akili grinned, pleased to see that she wasn't afraid of the unknown. But just as suddenly as she bounced ahead, Nyima took a tumble and Akili's eyebrows knit in concern. The fall didn't seem to phase her, and she was on her feet again soon, so the pale lion bounded forward to catch up. "You should be careful. Always be aware of where you're placing each paw as you step. That's what my queen has said while we learn to hunt." Akili was the furthest thing from being regal, but even from a young age, he carried himself cautiously, with a certain quiet grace unusual in a male. He gave a lopsided grin, matching Nyima's pace so that the two walked side by side. "Have you had any hunting lessons yet, Nyima?"
Back to top Go down
Nyima

Nyima

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:13 am

Nyima felt a surge of sympathy towards Akili as he said that he had no parental figures, but in an attempt to cheer him up she smiled at him crookedly, tilting her head to the side. "It could be worse. It could always be worse! You could have no food or water at all! And you could be all alone out in the Savannah with no one to take care of you." Nyima added eagerly. She believed that if she gave him examples of how it could be worse, she would assure him that he was indeed both lucky and un-lucky. She didn't want to think of a life without her mother's, but that was all she had ever known and a cub of her youth could not be expected to be able to understand that growing up without parental figures meant that one would become accustomed to it and it wouldn't seem as bad to them as it did to a one who had grown up with said figures.

At his suggestion, Nyima looked utterly confused, having never heard of a hyena. "What's a hyena?" She inquired, full of curiosity. She found it wonderful to have a friend like Akili who knew so much about the world beyond her jungle. Now that Nyima began to ponder it, she realised that she didn't know much else other than what she had seen of the jungle. She'd never even considered the idea that the world wasn't composed of jungle until she'd stumbled upon Akili. She dipped her head, now deep in thought about so little she knew of the world, and it only made her desire to explore Akili's homeland burn more brightly than it had before. She simply had to know what was beyond the jungle, see and witness it for herself. It was exciting, it was new, it was... Exhilarating! Nyima grinned at Akili.

Nyima hoped that her mother's wouldn't notice her absence too, though she knew immediately that as Princess her missing presence would be noticed not long after they left. That's why she knew they had to hurry. "Let's hope not, or else i'm in so much trouble." Nyima said in an overly cheery tone, not realising just how much trouble she would indeed be in as she bound ahead of Akili. She was un-fazed by falling over, as it was something that she often did. She'd never even considered it to be something of a hazard until Akili told her to always be careful. She listened to what he said and nodded her head, setting off at a trot but watching where exactly she walked. "Right, thanks Akili. No, my mother's haven't let me learn to hunt yet. I hope Umiza will teach me one day though," Nyima purred happily at the thought.

Back to top Go down
Akili

Akili

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:05 pm

As Nyima attempted to offer comfort, Akili's expression fell once again. She didn't know that in the desert, there wasn't much water, and food was harder to find. He had no one to care for him, but at least he had a home to return to. It made no sense to him that he would be both lucky and unlucky, but it was his lot and life and he was too young and inexperienced to know how to improve his situation. The cub said nothing, but he would be consumed by these thoughts when he found himself alone again. He seemed surprised when Nyima said she didn't know what a hyena was. In truth, Akili had only seen a couple of hyenas in his life, and they were all from a distance. But he had gone to investigate the area once the canines were chased away by the adults, and the stench left behind by the dogs was overwhelming and disgusting. "Well, they're not like lions. They're smaller, and they're really ugly. And they're very smelly! They try to steal food from pride lions because they're not good at hunting for themselves."

His lively pace seemed to slow considerably when Nyima mentioned again how much trouble she would get into if she was caught. While Quanna had often scolded Akili for his wandering, at the end of the day, she had other things to worry about, and without a mother to worry about him, young Akili's behavior went unchecked. Still, the last thing he wanted was for his newfound friend to be punished. After a minute of contemplation, he decided it was best to hurry as well, so that Nyima could return as quickly as possible. Besides, they had each other's backs now, and in Akili's experience, being with someone else was much less intimidating. "Queen Quanna has taught me a few things, but not much. I'm going to learn, though. I've heard lions aren't as good but I don't see why not." Anything Adhra could do, certainly Akili could match her skill. He was determined to prove to himself that he was capable of anything and everything.

The lush greens and talls trees were becoming less numerous now as they walked, veering away from the river towards the golden horizon. The savanna was now directly before them, and Akili felt confident that he still knew where he was going. How big could the grasslands be, anyway? "This way," he said, and there was no indication in his voice that he could be mistaken. But all of the savanna looked very similar, and Akili didn't realize he was leading Nyima to the west rather than the east. The sun was directly overhead so he had no way of guessing that he was wrong. His nose scented the hot air, and his nostrils were filled with countless unfamiliar scents.

The Lowlanders didn't have many enemies, but there lurked in the grasslands a certain fiend that would hurt anyone that strayed beyond the jungle territory just for the fun of it. The lion had mercilessly destroyed one of their own months ago, leaving five cubs orphaned. Now, the very same lion that had murdered Shani was close to the jungle once again. Despite Nyota's best efforts, he was alive and well, close enough to see the wandering cubs... And he was moving closer still, a sick grin on his grizzled muzzle.
Back to top Go down
Nyima

Nyima

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:48 pm

In her youth, Nyima had not become accustomed to noticing when the emotions that played in another lion’s eyes, or across their features. She only noticed in their voices if they were sad, or in their body language. Therefore, she failed to notice that her words of comfort hadn’t actually offered any comfort at all, but rather proved to be even more upsetting to the young lion. To her credit, she was still very young and was too busy being bubbly and energetic, along with trying to please other to really notice too much. She grinned at him cheerily, thinking that his silence following her words meant he was comforted by her words, rather than anything else. She was rather curious as to what exactly this creature was. Being raised in the jungle, Nyima knew next to nothing about the outside world. It was only because her mother’s wished to protect her from harm, being the only heir and their daughter. She was sure that any other mother or father would not want their cub to wander too far. She felt a frown develop slightly as she was brought back to thoughts of Akili not having parents.

That was a penalty that Nyima was not willing to suffer as well. She was sure that her life would be much less enjoyable without her mothers, for she loved them both very dearly. They were her world, and they were everything she wanted to be. She desperately wanted to make Duara and Nyota proud. She wondered if Akili would ever want to make anyone proud. ”Hyena’s don’t sound very nice at all. Do they steal your food often? It’s not very fair of them, they should at least ask nicely! If they asked me nicely, I might give them some food. But if they just steal it, how do they expect to make any friends? They’re not very smart, are they?” She shook her head in disdain at the behavior of those naughty hyena’s.

Nyima’s mothers had always told her to be good to everyone, ask politely, say thank you, and to be well-mannered. It was mostly for that reason alone that she was so appalled by their behaviour. She shook her head and the thoughts of the hyena’s seemed to fly away as she let herself revel in the feeling of freedom. She’d never really been free in her life, for her parents had always wished to protect her from harm. Now, she felt the feeling pumping adrenaline through her veins, and she suddenly felt a small amount of envy directed at Akili. Though she would be lost without Duara and Nyota, he had more freedom than she did. She knew she had to stay behind and be a Queen, but he, he could do whatever he wanted! She tilted her head as he mentioned hunting again and she wondered when she would be allowed to be taught. ”I think that the lioness is supposed to be better, Akili. We’re meant to be the hunting party after all. Mummy told me that the Great Spirit has made us more nimble, so we can be quiet, and that the Great Spirit made the lion stronger so he can protect the Pride,” Nyima informed him.

Nyima then wondered why it was that their Pride was mostly made up of lionesses - save for Upendo. In fact, their warrior was Umiza, but her body seemed to be built for the battle. She wondered if perhaps the Great Spirit made some lions and lionesses different to suit their personalities, or what they wanted to be. Maybe Akili would have a more nimble build too, so he could hunt better. She followed after Akili at a happy, trot-trot pace, pleased to be out and about with a friend. Akili showed no inclination that he knew not of where exactly they were going, therefore Nyima had no reason not to believe him when he told her where to go. However, as she walked Nyima had always become accustomed to breathing in the scents of the jungle. Once in the savannah, she breathed rapidly at all the new scents and stuck close to Akili. And then, a scent she knew to be lion because she’d spent time deciphering lion from plant. She looked around in panic and walked so close to Akili their fur brushed against one another’s.
Back to top Go down
Akili

Akili

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Akili trotted further into the savanna, away from the safety of the jungle, and further away from the path that he had originally taken that day. The desert was directly to the east but Akili continued to the north, towards danger. ”Hyenas are not nice, no, no. No one wants to be their friend, either. They usually don’t come to the desert unless they’re really desperate. We don’t really have much for them to steal, to be honest.” He hated to admit another shortcoming of the desert territory but it was the truth. Walking along in silence, Akili wondered many things: if Nyima would like the desert, if Adhra would like Nyima, and why things were the way they were. He would have enough time to wonder the great mysteries of life later on, though.

It seemed unfair to the male that the lionesses should be better hunters, as Nyima explained it, but he seemed pleased when he pointed out that males were likely stronger for a good reason too. But suddenly, it seemed to dawn on Akili that something was terribly wrong. He stopped dead in his tracks, head swinging from side to side as his nostrils searched desperately for any sign of the desert, any indication that he was heading in the right direction. But the only scent that greeted his senses was the overwhelming stench of a male lion – a much older one, at that. ”Nyima, wait!” His deep blue eyes were opened wide with a newfound feeling of fear. As soon as the words had escaped, the sound of a hoarse laugh filled the otherwise silent afternoon there on the savanna. The male cub’s mouth fell ajar in surprise as the large, full grown lion appeared from behind tall reeds not far at all from the wandering youngsters. His mouth was twisted up in a devious smile as he spoke: What have we here? The rogue could practically hear his stomach gurgling and growling with want for food. He was hungry, and he was not in any mood for a fight. Luckily for him, he could see that the cubs were unaccompanied by an adult.

But for Akili, it seemed his luck had run out that day. He had led his new friend astray, promised that he knew where he was going, and now it was his responsibility to keep Nyima alive and safe. Afraid to turn his head away from the lion, for fear that he would attack without a second’s warning, Akili tried to keep calm as he muttered to Nyima out of the corner of his mouth, ”You have to run now. Turn around and go back, fast as you can. Don’t look back..” It was his duty to be strong and protect the lioness. Akili would not fail her twice in one day. He swallowed hard as the murderous vagabond began to stalk closer to the pair of helpless snacks. ”Just keep running.” And with that, Akili took off in the opposite direction he had instructed Nyima to take – directly towards the brute of a male.

It was Akili’s intent to confuse the lion, and his plan seemed to work. The rogue clearly hadn’t expected this. It would have been easy enough for the adult male to catch both of the cubs as the fled, but Akili ran full-speed for him, snaking and turning to confuse him. Just as he was approaching the hungry lion, he darted quickly to his right, and the older male growled, annoyed by the swift and squirrely cub. Get back here.. he said lowly as he tried to swipe for the cub, but Akili was too quick. The cub could only hope that his plan would work and that the lion would give chase, forgetting about Nyima all together.
Back to top Go down
Nyima

Nyima

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 am

Though Nyima didn't realise it, as she was too young to really understand and had never really paid attention when either of her beloved mother's had warned her, but she and Akili had just wandered away from safety and straight into danger. Her instincts were telling her to go back, but the adrenaline pumping through her veins pushed Nyima forwards, excitement clear on her face. "I think they ought to be put in the naughty corner, or at least have some sort of punishment to show them that it's mean to steal and they should ask first. Don't they know HOW to be nice?" She sounded appalled once more. Nyima was very lucky indeed, having the education on manners and how to be polite that others may not have. "Isn't there much food where you live?" She asked quietly, a slight frown marring her features.

Nyima could feel that bubble of curiosity building inside of her as she wandered what the desert was like. She was even just fascinated by the savannah, looking around in awe and wonder despite the scent of another lion on her nostrils. Akili hadn't seemed to notice it for the moment, and therefore Nyima took that as a sign to relax and not worry about the scent too much. The savannah was large, wide, empty, with grass as far as the eye could see, the occasional tree breaking up endless fields. It was fascinating, but also a little dull. Nyima immediately preferred the jungle over this place. Still, Nyima liked the savannah. It was new, it was different, it was exciting! It was her gateway to a new place with new scents to discover, new lions to meet and places to explore! She grinned widely, btu it fell the moment Akili exclaimed for her to wait. She looked back at him and sensed his fear before she even looked at his eyes which clearly displayed the emotion. The scent was far stronger than before, and she felt her body tense in panic. A laugh, throaty and scratchy, echoed around them and she cowered back, hiding against Akili in fear. She suddenly longed to be back with her mother's, cuddled in their warm and safe embrace. Nyima knew this was no friendly lion.

At first, Nyima's instincts screeched at her so loud she thought her head might explode with the volume to run as fast as she could back to the jungle, and call out for her mother's. But one sideways glance at Akili made her sure that she had to stay and protect her newfound friend. She faltered slightly in her resolve to protect him when he told her to turn and run, and to not stop running. It felt like a cowards move, but a spike of fear ran through Nyima as the lion's gaze lingered on her hungrily, and she immediately did as Akili said without thinking about how she was abandoning him, leaving him as good as dead. She stopped after a few seconds of running and whirled back around to watch Akili charge at the lion. She gasped in horror and a squeak almost escaped her as she saw the lion's paw swipe out for Akili - but he seemed to become a blur of movement and swiftly avoided the lion.

Nyima anxiously dug her claws into the earth, ears flat against her head as she let out a little whine of confusion and worry. Akili was fast, but he was also a cub and she knew that he would soon become tired. The lion would easily catch him then, and she would lose her friend forever. She wouldn't let that happen, she knew that her mummy's wouldn't let it happen if they were in the situation. She squared her shoulders and charged at the lion, a little growl ripping up her throat. However, she'd forgotten she was a klutz and was no where near as fast as Akili, so it was rather easy for the lion to avert his attention to her and swipe his paw out, knocking her sideways to the ground. She whimpered but scrambled back up. The lion laughed and pinned her down by the tail. You make it so easy, child, he mocked her, and she felt panic run down her spine.
Back to top Go down
Nyota

Nyota

Pride Points : 446273

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 am

It all happened so quickly. Blink and you may have missed it. Akili had successfully evaded the older male, turning to sneak a look just in time to see Nyima sent flying by the swipe of a giant paw. Horrified, he charged back into the fray, desperate to free Nyima’s tail from the grasp of the laughing menace. Even if it meant his own skin, he had to save her. He slid to a halt as a flash of chocolate brown fur collided with the mad lion.

The queen of the Lowlands was upon the rogue killer before Akili could reach the struggle, lips curled back in a ferocious snarl as she hurled herself headfirst into the belly of the male. The shocked lion was sent reeling, staggering backwards. Nyota had been alerted by another of the jungle cats that her daughter had just left the territory with an unknown male. She had been tracing Nyima’s trail, out of the safety of their home and into the unknown. Why was the unknown so appealing to the young and inexperienced? Akili was a stranger, and an enemy of the pride, if what Nyota guessed was true; that he had lead the princess away, whether willfully or not.

A lioness, even one as experienced and athletic as Nyota, was no match for a full grown male like the one before her, who was furious once he realized what had happened. Dark nostrils flared. She knew his scent well. Hadn’t she tracked Shani’s killer herself so many months ago? Yet Nyota had never laid eyes upon the brute. This was the first time, but there was no doubt in her mind this fiend was the culprit. The lion charged the brown lioness, who weaved to the side to avoid the onslaught from the larger leonine form. When the male swiveled around to attempt an attack again, Nyota’s forepaws shot into the air a mere half a second before the lion made contact. Ebony claws sank into tender tissue, ripping into his eye sockets before thrusting down with force. It was a brutal tactic; one she had seen during the wartime. An agonized cry pierced the hot air as sight instantly left the murderer, never to return, replaced instead with darkness and double pain beyond comprehension.

”He won’t go far without those,” the lioness growled, chest heaving as she turned to the terrified Akili and Nyima. ”Follow me!” She would not kill the lion outright. Let him suffer for his crimes before he finally succumbed to starvation, if hyenas or some other hungry creature didn’t find the now helpless brute first. He did not deserve the mercy of the Lowlander queen. She began the retreat back to the jungle; home for some of the trio, but not all. She would deal with Akili later, but she had to handle her own before that. Once she could see the verdant, welcoming hues of the lush jungle on the horizon, she stopped dead in her tracks, trying to control her outrage. Looking back to her daughter, she remained calm, collected; the way a queen should be, even if her maternal instincts told her to flip out. ”What were you doing? Have we not warned you? Now you know what it is like to be near death, my daughter,” she said, voice grave. Her mismatched gaze turned next to Akili, cowering and stunned, but she regarded Nyima again ”Who is this? We do not know him. He is not a friend of the jungle. We cannot trust everyone we meet.”
Back to top Go down
Nyima

Nyima

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 7:32 am

Nyima felt cold fear run through her, and memories flashed before her eyes like spoken in many situations. She let out a noise of fear as she tried to stop herself after charging at the lion, realising that she'd only sealed her own fate. But maybe Akili could get away? She flung her paws out to stop herself, feeling the claws scrape against the earth as her eyes widened in fear. She yelped as the large paw swiped her to the side, causing her to collide head first with the earth. Her side hurt and she had scraped her side where he'd scratched her with his paw. She drew herself up and tried to charge away, frightened now but hoping that she'd caused enough of a diversion for Akili to be able to follow her lead.

However, much to the young and foolish cubs displeasure she felt a paw land on her tail and she yowled in pain. Her tail was tugged sharply and her yowl turned into a slight squeaky scream. She felt tears spring to her eyes and she gulped slightly, feeling him tugging her back by the tail. She whimpered the whole time, from pain and fear. She sniffled slightly and looked around wildly for Akili, everything seeming to go so slowly.

There was a blur of chocolate brown fur and Nyima felt her tail released. She fell forwards and leapt away from the battling lions, chest heaving as she tried to regain her breath and she immediately crouched beside Akili in fear. Her first adventure hadn't ended successfully, and she could feel tears welling up in her eyes. She tilted her head, looking back over to the fight with fear obvious in her wide, startled, blue eyes and she gasped. It was her mother! Oh, how she knew the Queen of the Lowlands would be positively furious with her for running off! However, those thoughts vanished as she compared her mother to the other lion. He was tall, muscular, and frightening looking. Her mother, though experienced, was much smaller in comparison and Nyima whimpered again. If only the other Queen was here to aid Nyota, then Nyima would not fear. She felt horrible guilt well up inside of her - what if her mother died because of her? She wouldn't be able to live with the disappointment she created to live in Duara's eyes whenever she regarded her daughter.

What happened next made Nyima cry out in astonishment and horror. She buried her face in Akili's side, feeling sick. Her mother had stuck her claws straight into his eyes, ripping them out of his skull. Her body was violently shaking from fear and she looked up as her mother came over. She followed after her, knowing that when Nyota spoke like that it was best to do whatever she wished. She looked down, knowing that it was only her mother's regal status that kept her calm, cool and collected in a situation like this whilst her eyes burned with anger and worry. "We were just having some fun, mama, honest. We thought it was safe - i'm sorry," she stuttered, big fat tears rolling down her cheeks as she looked down at her paws in shame. She had disappointed her mother, something she'd always tried avoiding today, and wasn't sure how to handle the amount of guilt and shame inside of her. Nyima looked up as her mother asked who Akili was, and she immediately stepped closer to her friend, prepared to defend him. "This is Akili! He's from the desert - mama it's not his fault, I wanted him to show me the desert!" She exclaimed.
Back to top Go down
Akili

Akili

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Akili had watched the bloody scene in stunned, horrified silence as the lioness he assumed was Nyima’s mother blinded the assailant. He still didn’t know that Nyima was a princess, or her mother a queen, but he was nevertheless completely intimidated by the brown lioness. It was the first scene of violence between his own species he had ever witnessed. When the lioness commanded the young pair to run, Akili didn’t stop to argue. But his next fear was his own fate: if the lioness had punished the cruel lion for attacking her daughter, what would she do to the male cub that had led her astray in the first place? Akili choked back his fear but found is mouth as dry as his desert home, and he had nothing to say. Nyota didn’t speak to him though. And when her eyes had turned away from the pale Desertlander, he quickly made his escape, sorry that he couldn’t say goodbye but unwilling to face the wrath of Nyima’s mother. It was a cowardly thing to do, but he had had enough adventure and stress for one day. Now he just wanted to be home, to tell Adhra all about what he had seen that day.

The image of the lion refused to leave Akili’s mind as he ran, this time following instinct without giving it a second thought, back towards the desert. That was what adults did; they protected cubs, at all costs. But Akili didn’t know how the lioness could do it. He wondered if he would ever be strong enough, mentally and physically, to defend himself and those around him the way he wished he could. He felt as if he failed his newfound friend – now it was unclear if he would ever see her again. If her mother had anything to do with it, the answer would most certainly be no. It seemed unfair, to find someone who was fun and likable, but to know that they lived far away, in a different world entirely - both literally and figuratively. But one thing was obvious to Akili. He had to be bigger, stronger. He didn’t want to feel helpless like that ever again. With a sigh, he ran until mother and daughter were gone from the horizon and he knew he was alone again. He would be more careful from now on, and only the fates could decide whether Akili would encounter Nyima again someday in the distant future.
Back to top Go down
Nyota

Nyota

Pride Points : 446273

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Already, Nyota regretted that she had reacted with such brutality, but that was part of being a leader. Difficult decisions had to be made in a moment’s notice, decisions that didn’t always seem proper, and what decent mother wouldn’t kill to protect her young? The mental image would likely stick with both of the cubs for years to come, but it was a harsh lesson about life. One does what one must to survive, and not everyone fights fair, when the situation warrants it. Cruelty had to be met with similar resolve. Just as Nyota’s glare shifted from her daughter back to the stranger, she saw that the cub had already made a swift exit from the tense scene. Silently, she watched Akili scurry off, glad she didn’t have to escort the boy back to the Desertlands. It was ironic though: Akili had been her own father’s name, the last great king of the Lowlanders. It was doubtful that Nyima was aware of this fact, and Nyota chose not to point it out at that moment. She didn’t want to put ideas into Nyima’s head. The ragamuffin cub from the desert was hardly a suitable playmate for the princess, and it would be best if Nyima forgot about him entirely.

When she finally spoke again, her voice was resigned, tinted with sadness as the queen realized her daughter was growing and would not be young and innocent forever. ”When you are old enough and ready to see the outside world, you will do so. As queen, it is important to be familiar with neighboring prides. But until that day, you must understand there is a reason you are not allowed to venture beyond the borders. It is not safe. The jungle would be a terrible place without our Nyima in it.” If there was only a way to keep Nyima sweet and pure, Nyota would do it in a heartbeat, but some lessons had to be learned the hard way. The trauma of what she had experienced would suffice as punishment for the princess, however, unless Duara said differently. Feeling weary beyond her years, Nyota cast one last disappointed look to her daughter before turning to lead the way back home in silence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Strangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strangers   Strangers Empty

Back to top Go down

Strangers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TLK: Dark Horizon :: Everything The Light Touches :: Lowlands :: Maji River-
Jump to: