HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]
Latest topics
» Bright Star Weyr
Among The Reeds EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:48 am by Guest

» New Harry Potter Role Play, Just Started!
Among The Reeds EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:29 pm by Guest

» RULLORE::Fantasy Horse RPG
Among The Reeds EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm by Guest

» Sohtrie's Source
Among The Reeds EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 am by Guest

» The Island Role Play
Among The Reeds EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 pm by Guest

» Shinobi Chronicles: Fall of the Reform
Among The Reeds EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 4:45 pm by Guest

» Kingdom Hearts: Light's Rebirth
Among The Reeds EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 am by Guest

» Farewell
Among The Reeds EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 am by Ismahel

» Lovespell [jcink]
Among The Reeds EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 pm by Guest

Census
The Pridelanders
Scar & Zira
♂04 ♀05

The Outlanders
Kiume & --
♂04 ♀02

The Coldlanders
Ismahel & --
♂03 ♀03

The Shadowlanders
Ni & Abuto
♂07 ♀03

The Desertlanders
-- & Quanna
♂02 ♀03

The Lowlanders
Nyota & Duara
♂02 ♀09

The Ashlanders
Nako & Heshima
♂02 ♀03

The Rogues
♂04 ♀04

The Other Species
♂03 ♀00

Total: 63
♂31 ♀32

* - Character Found in Want Ads

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 159 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 pm

Among The Reeds

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kata

Kata

Pride Points : 436935

Among The Reeds Empty
PostSubject: Among The Reeds   Among The Reeds EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Paw kicked up dust as the lioness sprinted across the plains of the Pridelands, she wasn't running from anything, she had simply been running. Well if she was telling the truth she was racing one of the birds but it had long since proved it could beat her and she couldn't stop herself and had just kept going. She slowed her full out run to a loping and awkward gait until she was able to slow herself down but unfortunately a rock presented itself in front of her paw and sent her tumbling back paws over head.

A soft oomph marked her finally stopping, she'd ended up on her stomach her tail draped over her head so that the tuft was in her face. She look unamused and blew at the tuft before scrambling to her feet and shaking the dirt out of her fur, the caramel was smudged with the grey dirt and she frowned rubbing her paws along the spots that she could reach to try and clear it off. She shook her head once to clear out anymore clubs, her ears flopping softly before she snorted in a slight sneeze.

To get her bearings she merely looked around but it didn't take her long to spot blue waters of the Water Hole and a further glance led her to believe that no other lions were around to have witnessed her ungraceful tumble through the grass, at least none that she could see. She stood looking pleased with herself and pranced towards the water, bending her head to lap up some of the cool liquid, she had ran a bit harder than she thought and she gulped it thirstily. No doubt her mother wouldn't approve of her poor etiquette but her mother never approved and besides there was no one around.
Back to top Go down
Nuka

Nuka

Pride Points : 441042

Among The Reeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Among The Reeds   Among The Reeds EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Nuka had grown considerably since his father had increased his rations and honestly he found it amazing. He was now almost as big as his older half-brother Kifu although he was still small for his age. From looking in his reflection in the past couple of days, he could see his chin starting to get darker, showing that a beard was starting to form on the cub's muzzle. It gave Nuka great pride to see that he was growing older, growing wiser, but it just gave him yet another difference from his father. It was in Nuka's mindset that he was the next one to become king, after all his father did say that Kifu was too soft. But soon enough his whole world would be turned upside down by something that he had no control over. The cub padded out of the den and cracked his back, sighing at the relief it gave him. But for now the young prince was thirsty and he padded off towards the watering hole. On the way there, Nuka wondered if there should be a law stating how much water one should drink. He knew the water was dwindling, but he didn't realize by how much it was.

Crimson eyes darted across the Pridelands as he padded off, watching the hyenas with wary eyes. They wouldn't downright attack Nuka due to him being a true prince, but he knew that they would put in a good word to his father about any misbehaving going on. But Nuka walked with his head held high, actually nodding to the hyenas as he passed. If he was going to be a king, then he needed to uphold all that his father had done, even if it did mean keeping the alliance between the lions and hyenas strong. True Nuka would put more laws for the hyenas in place, but they would be much stricter than the ones his father had. The hyenas wouldn't boss the little cubs of the Pridelands around, nor would they take prey from another. Bodyguards, that's what the hyenas would be. And if they didn't like it? Then off to the Shadowlands with them! Nuka loved planning ahead, and if his mother trained him right he would become a big strong lion that would protect everyone. The prince thought back to his half-siblings, they would be allowed to stay, but they wouldn't be next in line. It was true that he saw them as full-blood, but in reality he had to accept the fact that they would never be.

As the prince came up to the watering hole he saw none other than one of the lionesses from his own pride. He didn't see her graceful fall moments earlier, but from the dirt and grass that were strewn up around he could guess that she had fallen. Nuka padded up to the lioness, a smile on his face. "Good morning Kata! How are you today?" Nuka was always polite to his fellow pridemembers, something that would be almost lost upon his exile to the Outlands. The cub stared at the female's eyes, scars were raked across the optical muscle just like his own father. It made Nuka admire this family in the Pridelands slightly more than the others, for they shared a connection with his father, their king. Curious, Nuka cocked his head and sat down. "Is your eye feeling alright today Kata?" He would never know why the female had the scars or why her family had the scars unless Kata told him today. Nuka felt a strange feeling that the pride would turn away from him and his mother soon but he brushed it off as paranoia. Maybe it was just pre-coronation jitters even though he knew his coronation wouldn't be for a long long time. Nuka smiled and patiently waited for Kata to answer his questions before he would take a drink of the pride's dwindling water source, only out of respect for his elders.
Back to top Go down
Kata

Kata

Among The Reeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Among The Reeds   Among The Reeds EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:19 pm

The female had lifted her head again to stare off at the borders for what felt like the millionth time. She missed her sister terribly despite having one left wandering the pride and her eyes softened sadly and she started to scratch her sisters face in the dirt. She heard a sound behind her and she quickly stood and planted her butt on the dirt scribbles with a big innocent smile on her face as though she had been doing nothing. It was none other than one of the Princes, most lionesses would probably have treated him poorly but Kata had nothing against him. He was polite and greeted her nicely so she would do the same, "Prince Nuka, I'm just fine today, I was just getting a drink. I hope you're well" she returned and watched him curiously.

He was staring at her eyes and she guessed that it was the three long slashes that decorated one of them. She would have blushed if she could have and she directed her powder blue eyes to the ground sheepishly, she wasn't proud of her scars but they did connect her to her siblings and she couldn't have loved them more. He seemed merely curious and sat down to chat with her instead of just getting his drink and leaving to her own devices, "Oh, uh, yes it's fine. It doesn't really hurt anymore since it's all scarred up now" her eye hadn't been horribly affected by their mothers cruelty. Nuru had gotten it worst, her eye had been blinded but it rarely pained her unless jostled in fights and sometimes play if they weren't careful.

She gave a less than confident smile but looked up again at the prince, her tail swishing behind her some more to clear away her drawings. "So...um...how are you today Prince, have anything fun planned?" she felt lame and out of practice with her small talk but at least she had the courtesy to ask him instead of just running off. Nuka was a nice lion, a contrast to his rather cruel and snide father, something she found it hard to understand when his mother was Zira. The lean lioness was more devious than even her own mother and she shuddered to think how hard Nuka was likely pushed to be perfect by the ambitious lioness.
Back to top Go down
Nuka

Nuka

Among The Reeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Among The Reeds   Among The Reeds EmptyThu May 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Nuka didn't understand why his father seemed to turn away from the pride lionesses, they always seemed so nice. He was glad when Kata didn't bow to him, he was only a cub. Even though he was royalty and of the royal family he shouldn't be bowed to just because of his status in the pride. Age, that was what Nuka wanted to be bowed by for. His age and then his ranking. But this was just his little cub mind wandering around and not having a care in the world. Nuka closed his eyes and smiled at the older lioness, "I'm doing fine, but you don't need to ask about me Kata! It shouldn't be the royal family that everyone worries about!" An ideal that Nuka knew that his father didn't understand. He watched daily as the lion blamed the commoners for the lack of food in the pride and there had to be something else that he blamed them for, but Nuka was too naive to realize it. For now he would stand back and watch his father do his kingly duties of ruling the kingdom, whether Nuka agreed with them or not. The dusky russet cub looked over Kata's caramel coat and say that she was loosing weight just like the rest of the pride. Shouldn't his father be using his extra rations to feed the needy and not just an aspiring prince?

The cub backed away sheepishly as Kata denied any questions of her scar hurting. Nuka wasn't stupid, he was actually really smart, but his judgement was easily clouded by stupid ideas and the likes. He sheepishly smiled and chuckled a tad bit, "Yeah, that was a stupid question wasn't it, Kata? Father has a scar like you but he never complains about it, so I thought maybe I could ask you? Maybe that's why he's so grumpy all the time, because his scar hurts. But, that was just a stupid question," There truly are no such things as stupid questions, Nuka knew that, but there were some that made one stop and think about that they had said. And this question was one of those. Nonetheless, Nuka often wondered about the scarred family and why each of Kata and her siblings all had scars. "Kata, why do you have scars like my father? You and your siblings, did you all get into an accident like father?" Nuka had only heard that his father's scar was an accident, something that came from an angry animal; but Nuka didn't hear the whole back-story. There was something else that the pride wasn't telling him, and it often made Nuka question what his father's life as a cub was really like. Was it fun and exciting? Or, was it sheltered and always full of danger like Nuka's?

When asked if he had anything fun planned for today, Nuka shook his head and sighed, "Not really... Mother hasn't started my training yet either so besides laying around it really isn't a fun day. All my siblings are boring, well except maybe Ari. She seems like the best one of them all, but the other ones? I don't think they like me," It was apparent to Nuka that Giza hated him, but now that she and Mheetu were gone he was left with even more boring girls and a weakling brother. Nuka had nothing against his siblings, that was no lie, and in days he considered them full-blooded. But, there was always the fact that they were also in line for the throne. Kifu, Tasa and Ari would probably never reach the throne due to Heshima's punishment, and Uma might not either because of her ties with the lioness. Which left Nuka to fend for the title of being king. The small cub thought back to his parents, did they love each other like Sarabi loved her mate? Would they end up having more cubs together? No they couldn't, the lands didn't have the resources to spare, or did they? Nuka wouldn't mind new siblings, especially if they were full-blooded, but then that would mean just another mouth to feed and another fighter for the throne. And in all reality, Nuka didn't need another one of those running around.
Back to top Go down
Kata

Kata

Among The Reeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Among The Reeds   Among The Reeds EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 12:12 am

She smiled gently at the Prince and let her tail flop playfully, she felt more at ease around a cub even if he was royalty. "Well maybe I don't worry about you because you're a prince, maybe I just worry about you because you're a pridemate" she suggested with a soft laugh. She wasn't sure why but she had always gotten the impression that the royal cubs were a lonely bunch, there were a lot of them if you included all the half siblings but she still felt that they didn't get much companionship. She rarely saw them talking with anyone but each other and sometimes their mothers, none of the lionesses wanted anything to do with them.

She grimaced at his assumptions that he had asked a stupid question and she shook her head at him, "It wasn't stupid at all Nuka" she assured him. He was too hard on himself, most likely because of his parents and the impossible standards they likely held him too. She could relate with that, her mother was just as brutal on her children, though she had let up slightly lately now that Scar was ruling the pride and she was occupied with more important things. She looked thoughtful and cleared her throat when speculated that Scar's grumpiness came from his hurting Scar, "I'm sure he's just stressed, King's have a lot of responsibility" she didn't like accusing anyone of really being a bad person but deep down she knew she couldn't make excuses for their King.

She was contemplating all his deeds thus far when Nuka asked her a rather difficult question and she ground one of her paws into the dirt. "Well, um, our mother gave them to us...so that everyone would know to what family we belong to and to show how...happy...she is that your father is King" she said forcing a toothy grin at the cub. She didn't want to tell him that their mother had done it to mark her children for their King, or that she had done it viciously, but there was little room to lie believably. She hoped he'd simply let that topic be, she wasn't sure how she could explain it any more to him, it had been a shallow action on their mothers part and there wasn't any deeper explanation she could give besides that it had been done out of pure ambition.

Kata's expression softened from the tense one it had been a moment ago at his musings about his siblings, it wasn't easy to be disliked by anyone, especially family. She reached over and patted the cub with the free and cleaner paw, "Maybe they're just grumpy because they're hungry, this drought hasn't put anyone in the best of moods but we should all just try to stick together and cheer one another up. We still have friends and family around us, that has to count for something right?" she said optimistically and smiled once again at the young Prince. He didn't deserve harsh reality, no cub did, and she didn't want to tell him all the reasons that he was probably right not to mention she hoped that everyone's bonds were stronger than the aches of hunger.
Back to top Go down
Nuka

Nuka

Among The Reeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Among The Reeds   Among The Reeds EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 6:43 pm

Nuka pondered what Kata had said about him not being just a prince, but a pridemate as well. It seemed as if there was someone in the pride that didn't care about who was royal, that she cared for everyone. The cub smiled and nodded, "Thank you Kata, it feels good to feel cared for even if I am a prince," When told his question wasn't stupid he nodded and smiled, even after Kata gave him her reasoning on why Scar might always be so grumpy all the time. If a king had a lot of responsibilities, then Nuka was sure to be able to uphold all of them. "Don't worry Kata, when I'm king I'll uphold all of my father's responsibilities. I won't be so grumpy though, I'll make sure of it!" It was a little bold of Nuka to be proclaiming himself as the next king, but as the son of the king and queen he was possibly the first choice. Besides, his father had said that Kifu was too soft to become king. But then there was Ari, the first born daughter of his father and obviously his all-out favorite cub. But then, Scar didn't want a girl as queen, so Nuka took it upon himself to make sure his sister became queen until he found himself a mate. A mate, that was a strange thought to Nuka. His father seemed to have many in his past, he had Heshima, his own mother, Sarafina, and then Uma's mother who died on the day she was born. Was that what love was supposed to be? Many mates instead of just one?

The cub dipped his head at the sound of what a mother's infatuation could do to a cub. While his father's scar was an accident, Kata's was the result of her mother wanting to claim her. Nuka studied the scars that were raked across the lioness' caramel colored face and smiled, "Well, I think they make you look pretty Kata. They make you unique, even if your mother did it for my father. I think that deserves more credit than is given. You mother did it out of loyalty, doesn't that mean something?" Did it? Nuka had no clue, he was a clueless cub after all. All he knew was that if someone did something out of loyalty, they should be rewarded. But how? Nuka had no idea that Kata's mother scarred her children to mark them for Scar, so that she would be a part of the royal family somehow. But the cub could feel that Kata felt uneasy about the subject so he dropped it with a moment's notice. But then Nuka listened on how the drought had effected everyone in the lands, even those outside of his home. But in the end, Kata was right, we all had to stick around and band together for the greater good. If one fell, the rest of them fell, it was the domino theory that everyone seemed to lean on now-a-days. If one had friends and family, then everything was going to be alright. They were all there for each other in the end, through drought and famine.

"Yeah, it counts for everything. Friends and family, that's all we need now a days. I think the drought will be over soon, father seems to be having a good hold on things. Hopefully the grass will grow again, and all this sadness can go away," It was a simple wish that would only be fulfilled with his father's death, but poor Nuka didn't have to know that. In fact, no one would have guessed that it would end with one last death. The death of Scar.
Back to top Go down
Kata

Kata

Among The Reeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Among The Reeds   Among The Reeds EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 3:20 am

The caramel lioness saw that her comments on caring for the prince as a pridemate and not just royalty had pleased him and she was glad for it. Nuka didn't seem so bad, he was proud of his father of course but he was innocent, merely a cub that was doing what he thought was right. She didn't and couldn't fault him for his thinking and though she would have hoped that one of the gentle cubs would take the throne like Kifu or Ari she felt that Nuka would be just as good, if not slightly better due to not being as meek as his half brother. That was of course just the musings of a lioness not completely in the know, and one that didn't judge on blood alone.

Kata felt herself fluster and she ducked her head, it was rare anyone thought of her as pretty with her long boyish bangs and scarred visage. Nuka was only a cub so her fluster wasn't out of romantic feelings, simply out of being unused to compliments, she was more used to insults than anything. The female ground her paw again but didn't answer right away, she shrugged slightly and shook her head, "Perhaps...true loyalty doesn't require a reward" she settled on and lifted her head again to peer back at Pride Rock for a moment. She knew her mother would have loved more recognition, she would have loved to be where Zira was and her mother had expected it. She had produced two male cubs already and she had thought she was a shoe in but Scar had never looked her way for one reason or another.

Kata was happy with the cubs optimism but she didn't have complete faith in it, the drought seemed never ending and the she doubted Scar could control the weather or have a hold on it like Nuka was so sure he did. She simply nodded however, unwilling to burst his bubble or start a confrontation with the small prince. It would have only caused unneeded pain and suffering and her doubts could get her killed if voiced, if not by Scar or the Hyena's then likely her own mother who wouldn't put up with the rebelliousness from her least favorite child. "We can only hope, maybe the Spirits will have mercy on us and reward us for being so strong" she said simply and gave a small smile that showed she wasn't entirely certain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Among The Reeds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Among The Reeds   Among The Reeds Empty

Back to top Go down

Among The Reeds
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TLK: Dark Horizon :: Everything The Light Touches :: Pridelands :: Water Hole-
Jump to: