HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]
Latest topics
» Bright Star Weyr
On A Misty Morning EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:48 am by Guest

» New Harry Potter Role Play, Just Started!
On A Misty Morning EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:29 pm by Guest

» RULLORE::Fantasy Horse RPG
On A Misty Morning EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm by Guest

» Sohtrie's Source
On A Misty Morning EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 am by Guest

» The Island Role Play
On A Misty Morning EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 pm by Guest

» Shinobi Chronicles: Fall of the Reform
On A Misty Morning EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 4:45 pm by Guest

» Kingdom Hearts: Light's Rebirth
On A Misty Morning EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 am by Guest

» Farewell
On A Misty Morning EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 am by Ismahel

» Lovespell [jcink]
On A Misty Morning EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 pm by Guest

Census
The Pridelanders
Scar & Zira
♂04 ♀05

The Outlanders
Kiume & --
♂04 ♀02

The Coldlanders
Ismahel & --
♂03 ♀03

The Shadowlanders
Ni & Abuto
♂07 ♀03

The Desertlanders
-- & Quanna
♂02 ♀03

The Lowlanders
Nyota & Duara
♂02 ♀09

The Ashlanders
Nako & Heshima
♂02 ♀03

The Rogues
♂04 ♀04

The Other Species
♂03 ♀00

Total: 63
♂31 ♀32

* - Character Found in Want Ads

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 159 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 pm

On A Misty Morning

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nyota

Nyota

Pride Points : 446273

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:02 pm

A light mist, cool and pale against the vivid greens of the jungle, hung on the morning air near the springs. The queen was sitting at the water's edge, a favorite place she often wandered to when she wished to be left to her thoughts. Her mind often drifted to worries for her son, who had now been gone for several months. She wondered if there was enough to eat in the Coldlands, if Ismahel was a compassionate father, or one only interested in raising up a strong, worthy heir. The white lion did not seem like the type. After all, he had been interested in taking the cub that best suited the environment it would be raised in rather than the gender. Unlike certain other lions from the mountain pride, Nyota had some faith in Ismahel's judgement, and could only trust that he was doing his best. Regardless, her imagination still conjured up images of a filthy white cub running wild amongst the trees and snow. At least Sakitu would have two playmates there, since two of Shani's litter had been sentenced to the harsh mountains with their own father.

Nyota felt Shani's pain, quite literally, for she too had given up a child to be raised by a relative stranger. But there was a part of her, a small part that she felt guilty about, almost felt as if the lioness had brought the pain upon herself. She could still vividly recall warning the younger lioness of wandering too far from the kingdom. The loss she had suffered was part of the consequences she had to face. Nyota wasn't heartless enough to believe for a second that Shani deserved what had happened, but it was a lesson painfully learned for the youthful female who still had a robust litter of three to care for in the jungle.

The queen herself had not been so lucky. While she hadn't anticipated an especially large litter, giving birth to two meant she would only have one. Nyima was a joy to the pride, but she had no other siblings to ascend the throne, should the unthinkable happen -- or if the princess decided she had no desire to be queen someday. These thoughts haunted Nyota, and she worried day and night about what to do next. King Mufasa of the Pridelands had only one child, and look what happened to his kingdom once tragedy struck them both! The Lowlander royal family was small. There were no cousins or aunts or uncles to claim the throne. The pride would be thrown into total chaos, and any wretched rogue could come and ruin what had existed there for generations, what Nyota's ancestors had worked so hard to build and preserve. Too many lives had been lost in the battles to keep the jungle. Even the peaceful morning could not distract Nyota from her concerns. Her mis-matched eyes closed, and she allowed them to stay shut, heaving a heavy sigh.
Back to top Go down
Duara

Duara

Pride Points : 443379

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 3:00 am

Duara had begun to get increasingly worried of the well-being of her friend. She had become rather quiet, withdrawn, more thoughtful as of late, and often disappeared to places that Duara didn't know. It worried her, and it made her patrols become more tiresome, more of a nightmare for her. She was distracted, which meant when she jolted out of her thoughts she would panic and go back the way she'd came and sniff extra carefully for scents that she may no have picked up on in the midst of her thoughts and worries. She would always sigh in relief when their was nothing knew, but that initial panic that she might have let Nyota down would be the death of her, she knew it. She jolted out of her thoughts once more, but this time she was not bothered to turn around with haste and run back. Instead, she slowly swivelled and let her head droop as she sniffed the air around her and walked back the way she'd come. Her head ached and her legs were stiff and sore - for she had been patrolling all night. Her eyelids were heavy and a tired yawn left her muzzle and she sniffed. There were no new scents, the same as always. It was beginning to frustrate the lioness. She lost sleep, worrying, she just wished there was not all that much to worry about.

Tired of her constant patrols, she abandoned her position and wandered aimlessly through the forest. She admired the light mist that settled within the jungle, giving it an eerily calm look that made Duara feel quite at home and content. She liked it, for it looked lovely despite the fact that many would consider it creepy and would walk through with anticipation of some evil creature lurking about. She merely breathed in the smell of the dew that clung to blades of grass like a life line, but when her paw landed on the grass the wetness clung to her fur instead. It was nice, to have not slept all night but have a cool morning like this - one that had not been seen in a while. The increasingly hot temperatures had made her forget what it was like to be cool, and she remembered now. It was a far more pleasant feeling, she would admit to herself as she wandered.

As Duara wandered, she began to near the Healing Springs without her even realising it, to lost in her own thoughts herself. Her mind had wandered - as it often did - to little Nyima, her 'daughter' in a way. It was merely because Nyima knew not the concept of a father, and with her mother being Queen and Duara being Queen, it only made sense that Nyima would be led to believe that Duara was also her mother. In time, the young cub would realise that she was not actually Duara's real daughter, but merely an adopted one. However, the sweet little cub did not need to know this until much, much later in her own life. Duara knew that though Nyima had 3 other cubs she could play with, she did not have a sibling and it broke Duara's heart to know that poor Sakitu had been taken away to the lands that both Shani and Nyota called 'barren' and 'un-suitable cub'. She felt sympathy for the 3 cubs that had been taken from their mothers to be trained up as savage warriors by their fathers. She sighed heavily, when the wind brought Nyota's scent to her nostrils and she eagerly followed after it, glad that she would find her Queen. She sat by the Healing Springs, looking deep in thought. Quietly, Duara moved forwards until she beside Nyota and that feeling of warmth flooded through her - one she only received when in Nyota's presence.
Back to top Go down
Nyota

Nyota

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm

There existed only one lion in the jungle that could pacify Nyota in her lowest moments. It was the same one that had been beside the lioness for as long as she could remember. Her earliest memories included Duara: the thrill of learning to hunt, side by side, the terror of hiding together while the war was waged all around them, the sorrow of watching each relative and pride mate die. Nyota now had no family left, aside from her two cubs, not even a distant cousin. Along the way, Duara had filled the ever-growing void, just as Nyota served the same purpose for her friend, whose luck was no better. Minutes before the tan queen appeared beside the water's edge, before her familiar scent reached Nyota's nostrils, she could sense her presence there. It was not something she could explain; Nyota could always guess when Duara was near, just by a feeling, and she would not complain to lose her solitude that morning.

Without even glancing in her direction when she came to sit beside her, Nyota uttered a soft sigh. "I have made so many mistakes already. What will happen to us when real disaster strikes?" In spite of the relative serenity of the jungle, the young queen was certain it was only a matter of time before the unthinkable occurred there. She had accepted her obligatory duties as the new ruler of the Lowlands after her last brother had fallen in battle, but she couldn't deny that she hadn't really wanted the responsibility that was thrust upon her. Failure meant loss of life. Since becoming a mother, Nyota's tendency to worry had only gotten worse. Her question had been rhetorical, for she did not expect Duara to have the answers. She leaned closer to her companion, nuzzling her cheek against her soft neck. It wouldn't be enough to solve their problems, but the closeness of her closest friend always helped, somehow, and Nyota gave another sigh. "If I were someone else, think how simple life might be. Nyima would not be in danger for being the queen's daughter."

It occurred to Nyota then that it was probable Duara had been out all night, scouting for trouble, and she finally looked to her with a frown before inching closer still so their bodies were in contact now. "It was lonely in the den last night. You should ask someone else to take over your midnight patrols." She knew Duara was only being vigilant, but the very thought of harm befalling her beloved friend was unbearable. Nyota had lost nearly all she cared about, and what remained would be fiercely protected.
Back to top Go down
Duara

Duara

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Duara had never met a lioness quite like Nyota, and she knew that she never would meet her again. She was insightful, thoughtful, special. Her beauty was one that captivated Duara and always made her feel as if she must protect Nyota from the worst of the world. That was another wonderful thing about Nyota, she didn't need protection. She was strong and was able to take care of herself. She didn't pride herself on her looks or act as a pompous, up herself lioness like some would. A mark of her uniqueness was the three circles under her eyes. Duara had experienced so much with Nyota, so much that she knew Nyota would always be the most important lioness in her life. They'd grown up together, fought together, hunted together, learned everything together. They had experienced much the same events within their lives, shared the loss of their families together. Nyota had become her rock over the years, and whenever Duara had felt the need to run just a look from Nyota would sway her to stay. She was sure that she would be lost without her.

Duara frowned at Nyota's words and her thoughts wandered along the same lines as the Queen's. With the peacefulness surrounding them now it became difficult to envision the peace and serenity being interrupted with the sound of wars, the roars of pain and anguish and blood being poured upon the jungle floor. Visions of the war when they were younger flooded her mind, making her body tense as she tried to shut them down. She could remember being scared beyond belief as she crashed through the jungle in a panicked frenzy. She moved her body and sat herself in front of Nyota, her head being pressed against Nyota's own. "One learns from their mistakes, and you have too. You are a wonderful Queen, and I am here for you now, know that. Don't doubt yourself." Duara assured her. She licked the top of Nyota's head in comfort, her mind already going through the motions. She'd previously thought of a plan on her walks, and they had always been the same. Hide the cubs, use their knowledge of the jungle, take down the leader. Without a leader, the meaning for the war is lost. "But you are not someone else, Nyota, and I wouldn't want you to be. I think you are very close to perfection for this position." Duara placed a paw over Nyota's.

Duara moved her position back to beside Nyota's and watched the mist drift through the air, bringing an aura of secrecy around the jungle and the springs that they sat before now. Duara smiled as she felt Nyota's fur brush against her own. "Thats alright. Its my duty to you, and its something I like to do. How could I know the job is being done right if I do not do it myself?" Duara questioned with a raised eyebrow. Another matter pressed on her mind, but she didn't think it the time to bring up such a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Nyota

Nyota

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 6:17 pm

It was still too early for the humid heat of the jungle to take hold, and the mist tickled Nyota's rose colored nostrils as Duara came to sit before her, offering reassurance eternally. "We are all flawed creatures, even royalty." Regardless, Duara's words offered comfort to the weary queen, as they had so many times throughout the years. Her smile widened when Duara placed her paw over one of her own, and Nyota filled the short space that separated the two, in a sort of embrace. For a split second, her thoughts flashed to something that made her feel both ashamed and guilty: her time spent with Ismahel in the Coldlands, as brief as it had been, and how close she had to be to him. It felt wrong then, and even more so now that she could feel Duara's heart beating within her chest at such close proximity. There was no other lion Nyota would allow this close, never again in her lifetime, if she could help it.

"I am certain none can do it as well as you, but regardless," she said with a light laugh. "Nyima has expressed how much she dislikes when you are away for hours at a time, and I am inclined to agree. I know I cannot keep you from patrolling, if that is what you wish to do, but your family would prefer you stay safely away from the borders. I can assign another lioness to your duties." It was her gentle way of saying she no longer wished for Duara to carry out certain responsibilities she had taken on as queen, though she was certain the other would not be pleased. There was a selfish part of Nyota that wanted to keep Duara safe, and patrolling was a dangerous job, though the former had seldom refused to do it herself. But life was different now, and Nyota's family was as small as she would allow it to become as it was. Sakitu was not coming back, nor were the family members lost in battle. The jungle queen could only cling relentlessly to what remained.

After knowing someone for so long, it becomes like second nature to guess what is on their mind. Nyota looked to Duara now with a curious look of her own. Even without voicing her thoughts, the darker lioness could tell her friend had something on her mind, though she could not guess what it was. She had been so lost in her own worries, Nyota realized she had been neglecting her friend, perhaps. She pulled away from her comfortable position to get another look at Duara's delicate features, and the queen chuckled under her breath. "You have that look on your face that I remember from our earliest adventures, as if you have a secret. Tell me, what is on your mind?" A low purr rumbled in her throat to set Duara at ease, and to prove that Nyota was not always business - though her duties were not ever far from her mind, and were constantly threatening to sieze her attention every waking hour. For now, the closeness of the lioness she loved was enough to distract her, if only for a few moments. Her chin came to rest on Duara's shoulder again.
Back to top Go down
Duara

Duara

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyFri May 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Duara knew that Nyota's words were of truth, and any lion who held a semblance of intelligence would know this also. There was no creature that roamed this land who did not hold a flaw, flaws were a part of the process of learning. The flaw led to the mistake, which one learned and grew from. To lead a life without flaws was to live so cautiously you might as well not have lived at all, and that would be a terrible fate. "No creature that roams this earth, that feeds off this land, that drinks the water from the lakes and the water that falls from the skies, that does what it can to survive is not flawed, Nyota. Even I accept that I have my flaws, and royalty is no exception. But you are a brilliant Queen, believe me, Nyota. I would not lie to spare your feelings." Duara assured her, and it was the truth. Any other lion, and she would have lied to spare their feelings, but Nyota deserved the absolute truth and Duara was more than willing to give it to her. Duara felt warmth envelope her and the coolness of the jungle seemed to fade away as Nyota embraced her. She nuzzled her head against Nyota.

Duara always felt complete, wholesome even when in the presence of this lioness. She was a piece of art thats flaws and mistakes only made it more beautiful, made it more reachable. If she were perfection, Duara would not feel this way about her, for she loves Nyota for her flaws, and her quirks, and her qualities, her every trait, everything about this lioness was a wonder in her violet eyes. Even the dual colour of Nyota's own eyes was something she loved, as such uniqueness was a rarity among lions and it only made Duara feel as if Nyota was special even more. Duara smiled as she looked into those eyes, the ones that made her heart beat just that little bit faster whenever she looked into them. Strange, yet she did not feel as if it was strange, really. Others would call it that, so she guessed it must be, but she was not bothered by the strangeness of their situation. Lionesses could not fall in love, could they?

Duara laughed along with Nyota, and decided that maybe she would lessen her patrols a little. Or hand some nights over to the other lionesses, so she could still ensure the job was being done right with a few breaks to catch up on her sleep - and spend some time with Nyima. As Nyota mentioned that Nyima did not enjoy how long Duara was away for, she felt her heart warm and her smile widened. "Well, if you wish it and Nyima wishes it, than I shall lessen the patrols, but I still wish to do so. It is my duty to ensure that we are all safe, as it is your duty to ensure that everyone is taken care of." Duara hoped this would make Nyota feel better, as she felt better about it now. She longed to spend nights curled up by Nyota with Nyima nestled in between them.

Duara's thoughtfulness lead to Nyota's questioning, and she sighed heavily. Nyota would not like the idea, but Duara felt within her it was something she must do. One cub to carry on their legacy simply wasn't enough, what if something happened to Nyima? Who would take up the throne? And even if nothing happened to her, what if both Duara and Nyota lost their lives? Nyima would have no family left, and she did not wish the cub who had stolen her heart to feel the way she had felt, alone with no one to go too. Even with Nyota there, it had been hard those first few years alone. Duara relaxed at the purr, though she still felt tense. "It's just, I have been thinking many questions that there is only one answer for, Nyota. What happens if Nyima dies and you and I both are to old to reproduce? What if something happened to us, and we would join our family above? You remember those years, when we had no family, even with one another they were hard. I almost thought I wouldn't make it..." Duara trailed off and wondered how to say what was needed to be said.
Back to top Go down
Nyota

Nyota

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyWed May 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Nyota made no further attempts to argue with her friend about her abilities as the ruler of an entire pride, and a land that was as fragile as the bones in their leonine bodies. The other had a knack for saying exactly the right thing to calm the young queen who, despite putting on a brave face and maintaining her dignity and grace, was still uncertain about her role. No one had ever expected the young princess to be anything more than another member of the shrinking royal family, not even Nyota herself had aspired to take on such a title and the responsibilities that accompanied it. But there was no fighting what had happened, no bringing back the dead. The queen seemed satisfied when Duara pledged to spent more time at the den, safely, and gave a brief nod along with a half-hearted smile. "I know Nyima will be pleased. She seems depressed lately. Lonely."

Duara's words brought the somber mood back to the early dawn. "But, you did make it. We both survived, though the odds were never in our favor. Who would have guessed that both of my brothers would be gone?" It was a worry that consumed the chocolate hued lioness as well, and the purr that rumbled in her throat ceased as her worries consumed her once again. "So many have been lost, it is impossible to forget. But we will always have each other." It was a promise that Nyota knew she could never keep, if fate was against them, not literally anyway. But even death would not keep her spirit from her friend's side. Nyota believed firmly that the ghosts of their ancestors still lived in the jungle, in some unseen, spiritual way. The bond between the lionesses was unshakeable, and she was certain that not even the end of one life could separate the two. The very thought of losing Duara was unspeakably horrible; Nyota did not think she could survive such a tragic event. What would life be without Duara beside her?

There were other cubs in the Lowlands, each cherished, but the absence of the white prince who had been born there was still keenly felt by the royal family. The simple solution would be to have another litter, but the thought made Nyota squirm. The end result had been worthwhile, for Nyima was as good a daughter as one could hope for, but the means it had taken to acquire a cub had been more than Nyota had ever wanted. The deceit, the cunning, the closeness of a relative stranger... There was still a large part of the queen that felt guilty for what she had done, for it had deprived Nyima of her only sibling. "I have no desire to have more cubs, Duara." How easy it was for most lionesses to become mothers! Young Shani had been missing for only a short time, and months later, five healthy cubs were the result. The very thought of letting another male come near her again made Nyota's heart quicken with anxiety, not to mention the agony of birth. Adoption was always an option, but the cubs would not be of royal descent. The mother longed for her lost son, and the thought caused Nyota to lean her weight against Duara's frame. "Nor do I wish for Nyima to be alone." Now, the queen fell silent, hoping her friend would fill in the blanks that her own mind could not.
Back to top Go down
Duara

Duara

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Duara was glad when Nyota seemed to drop the subject of her worthiness of her title. Duara had always been sure that Nyota was as close to perfect as you could get for the role. She had an intensity to her, and she could be intimidating and firm without being in-just when she wished it so. Duara longed for Nyota to see how wonderful she was, but she felt that Nyota didn't wish to revisit the topic and she would respect that and keep quiet about her adoration over her life-long friend. She had already begun to figure out that what she felt for Nyota went beyond friendship, but she was hesitant to admit it as what it truly was. She'd never thought it was possible for a lioness to feel such feelings about another lioness, however she was experiencing it first hand. Duara snapped out of her thoughts and smiled. "I am glad that she will be pleased. I have also noticed this for the short time i've been around, though it must be because of her brother. It is sad that Sakitu had to be taken from her when she was so fond of him, I had high hopes she would not be so attached to him when Ismahel took him."

Duara frowned as she realised Nyota's purr had stopped and her words were laced with worry and many emotions that Duara did not like her companion feeling. She moved closer and nuzzled against Nyota in an attempt to cheer her up once more. "Yes, we did make it. They are just worries of mine, Nyota, I do not wish our daughter to experience the pain that we did," Duara was nervous about her proposal, her stomach doing little flips. For the moment, she would try to cheer and soften Nyota to the words she was going to speak that would not please her Queen. "We will always have each other, but is there any that Nyima can be assured will never leave her? The others will do anything to protect her if harm should fall upon the lands," Duara sighed and tenderly licked Nyota's cheek. Duara didn't want to picture Nyima, alone and lost, Queen of lands that no longer existed. She shut her eyes and tried to focus on the task at hand rather than images of burned lands, ruins, dead lions and only Nyima left. She only hoped that Nyima might have the common sense to seek out her brother.

Duara sighed heavily as Nyota had not pieced it together. She'd hoped that she wouldn't actually have to say the news, but rather Nyota would figure it out herself. It just made it harder. She felt herself tense and she shook her head wildly - she would not let Nyota be touched by a lion like that ever again. It would make her heart ache so. "No," Duara growled. "Never again, I do not care what reasons you have I will not allow you to... well, it is not my place to deny you but I would strongly be against it," Duara corrected herself, not wanting to offend her Queen by out-standing her place. Duara planted herself in front of Nyota and placed both her paws over the Queen's. She looked straight into those beautiful, dual coloured eyes that had been the object of her comfort for those years that had seemed impossible to get through. She drew herself up and forced the words out before she could become too cowardly. "I want to give birth to my own cubs to be sister to Nyima. She will be first in line to the throne, but should anything happen to us she can always have them to be there for her."
Back to top Go down
Nyota

Nyota

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptySun May 13, 2012 2:35 am

As she looked into the indigo eyes of her companion, she saw something there that existed nowhere else. No one else dared to look at the queen in that way, but she had seen it among the young lioness of the pride when they spoke of their favorite lion, the object of their affection. For a moment, Nyota felt distracted from the present world, and the jungle and the mist seemed to melt away until only the lionesses remained, face to face and comfortably close. A faint smile appeared, and she opened her mouth to speak, but found only dryness there. It took a minute for Nyota to find her voice again, and by then, her wonder and dreaminess had passed. Reality returned, and it was harsh. "I had also hoped she would not remember Sakitu as well as she seems to, but she has proven us wrong. She is a bright cub, indeed." Unbeknownst to the Lowlanders, their lost prince would soon be returning for a visit, but it would not be permanant. Sakitu would never again call the Lowlands his home.

"Nyima has Upendo, at least, and Shani's girls," Nyota added lamely. Indeed, Shani's cubs that remained in the kingdom were fine playmates for the princess, and Nyota suspected little Upendo would soon enough be a heartbreaker. She felt fondness for all three of the cubs and would treat them no differently than her own. But she knew Duara's words were true, and it was a challenge to find a smile when Duara's tongue caressed her cheek. Their family was too small, and with Sakitu destined to rule the Coldlands, Nyima would remain an only child.

The idea that Duara suggested, however, was something Nyota would not have imagined on her own. Her dual colored eyes narrowed as her friend spoke of a way to change the royal family's size. "No. No," she started, her voice strained. Her mind conjured up the image of Duara pursued by a male, flirtatious glances exchanged, and time spent alone; Nyota shook her head again to rid herself of the ugliness. "How can I allow that?" No attempts were made, on Nyota's part, to move away from the other lioness, but her face spelled out her displeasure plainly. But then, Duara would not have suggested it without giving the idea a great deal of consideration, and Nyota knew this. She trusted Duara's ability to reason and make the right decision. This seemed the to be answer she was searching for, but at what price? There were so many things that could go wrong, from start to finish, and every necessary step made Nyota's quiver with outrage.

After the shock had worn off, a sigh escaped, and the queen tried to calm herself. "Who? Who is it that you want..?" Head fell as she spoke, for Nyota felt a deep sense of disappointment and hurt that she could not, would not express. Could it be that Duara had eyes for a lion, after all? This news would be overwhelming to Nyota, and she braced herself for the worse, finally withdrawing her paws away from Duara's.
Back to top Go down
Duara

Duara

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 4:24 am

[[OOC: If some of it doesn't make sense, it's cause of the flu. My head feels funny. xD]]

Duara always felt warmth flutter through her whenever Nyota looked at her like... well, like that. There was no word that could describe the look in Nyota's eyes. Perhaps, contemplative, caring? She was un-sure as to what exactly it was, but she liked the look. It was not negative, more subtle yet positive. She would often find herself lost within those dual coloured eyes. She felt a smile grow on her muzzle, a gentle one, just from looking at Nyota. It's presence un-known to Duara, too busy looking at Nyota. Duara blinked as she zoned back in and saw a smile not un-like her own on Nyota's muzzle. Her smile faded as the conversation persisted and she frowned. "It is most worrying indeed. However, it might also prove good that Nyima is intelligent." Duara spoke. She would rather that the cub was intelligent instead of foolish, for it would not do to have a foolish lioness ruling the Lowlands.

Duara frowned as Nyota mentioned Shani's cubs, and Upendo whom the little Princess had seemed to have grown fond of. This worried Duara, but she was sure it was just a little crush and might not develop. Then again, it could develop into something more. Duara admitted to herself though, that she would rather Upendo than a stranger lion whom did not prove to have such a pure heart and mind. Still, Duara was most protective of Nyima, and did not really wish any lion - or lioness - to come near her. "Yes, indeed she has got them. And Giza, though she seems to keep more to herself. Besides, Shani's girls are normally sleeping, so she really only has Upendo." Duara 'hmm'ed to herself after she'd finished expressing the thoughts that were running through her mind.

Duara could not stop the images now that they had begun. They invaded her mind, causing her pupils to dilate as the horrible nightmares of her past mixed in with what might come in the future. Scar, with his twisted and evil hyena's following behind him, invading their lands. A fire set raging across the beauty of the jungle, tearing it down and leaving the Lowlanders in panic. Nyota, dead on the ground, never to move again. She gasped at the pain that ripped through her body and shut off the thoughts. She looked to Nyota once more and was soon able to speak her idea after such traumatising thoughts. Duara felt worry at the way that Nyota reacted, her eyes wide. She imagined that similar feelings that Duara herself had experienced when Nyota had gone off to Ismahel were invading Nyota now. She only wished that there was another way, but she had thought it out and decided this would be for the best. It was the solution to their problem. The upset that plagued Nyota's expression pained Duara greatly, and she wished that she could take it back - but she would not. She merely sat and waited for Nyota to think it through in her sensible mind, after the shock had wore off.

Duara was appalled by her next words. It was not only the words, but the tone that they had been spoken in. It was as if Nyota was hurt by this decision, and did Duara detect disappointment? Could it perhaps be that Nyota felt about her the way Duara did? Nyota's paws were withdrawn from hers, but Duara was not weakened by this movement. She moved so close to Nyota that their bodies were touching one another, and she hovered her muzzle by Nyota's ear. "Nyota, do not think that I want any of those lions... The idea... It is not a pleasing thought, and I do not care. The best suitor will do, but I could never want any of them. Believe me." Duara assured her Queen. She nuzzled her head against the side of Nyota's to offer comfort.
Back to top Go down
Nyota

Nyota

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Nyota had been queen of the Lowlands for about two years now. There were some days when she forgot upon waking, but it was impossible to escape her responsibilities. There would always be someone who needed her, or some business to attend to. The help of a secondary queen was all that kept Nyota sane at times, she was quite certain. The subject of the pride's cubs petered away, and Duara's suggestion consumed Nyota now. The pride had been much larger, before the war. More males had called the kingdom home years before. There were countless female casualties as well, but the population of lions in the jungle had slowly dwindled for years during the war. Now that the battles were over, some of the younger lions had ventured off to start lives of their own in more exciting a kingdom. All had realized they had no chance of winning over the new queen, and that they would never be king of the Lowlands.

Nyota herself had seen numerous suitors throughout her lifetime, but her own autonomy had been protected fiercely. Her father had frowned upon her constant turn-downs of suitable males, but no one had forced the young princess into something she did not want. Now, there were only a couple of males left in the kingdom, and one of them was young Upendo. The other was closer to Nyota's father's age, and had lost his mate years ago without producing any surviving offspring himself. He was loyal to the royal family at all costs, but time was not on his side, and he had grown older and weaker since the time of peace had begun. Nyota could not imagine Duara knew any other lions to sire her litter, and could only assume who she was referring to.

There were no romantic inclinations between Duara and the lion, but it unnerved Nyota regardless. Still, she did not argue further, only closed her eyes in resignation. She knew that Duara did only what must be done, and knew also that Duara would never desire a lion that existed. "I know," she said simply, trying to hide the shiver that ran through her core at the closeness of Duara, the tone of her whisper near Nyota's ear. "If it were possible.." the lioness began slowly. Nyota was not one who often found herself at a loss for words, but she struggled to say what was always lurking in the back of her mind. If young, inexperienced fools could experience the elation of romance and love after knowing each other only a short time, then why should Nyota be excluded? All of the subtleness and implications of affections between the queens of the Lowlands had existed for some time, with neither able (or willing) to express themselves aloud.

Perhaps today would be the day. For all her bravery in battle, Nyota still struggled with herself. "If we- If I were born differently," she tried again, "If I had been my father's third son instead of his only daughter, we would not have this problem." But the moment the last word escape, Nyota sighed. What the pair had together was not a problem, per se, it only created a few.. Namely that Nyota herself could not give her companion a litter; that they had to rely on someone else to do it. Her tail twitched unconsciously as the thoughts swirled in her brain. "More than that, what I mean to say is... If I were the king, you would be my queen, Duara." Now the darker lioness fell silent. Her neck craned so that she could look into the other's indigo eyes to see if her meaning had not been lost on her.
Back to top Go down
Duara

Duara

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 6:54 am

As the conversation had turned into Nyima's intelligence, even if the words that had been shared over this matter were brief and to the point, the thoughts would not leave her mind. A look of contemplation had crossed her features as she let her head bow slightly. She began to wonder if Nyima's intelligence would ensure that she kept secrets of their lands safe, or if her youth and naïvety would cause her to spill treasured secrets that she knew and that they each wished to keep close to them. She would not judge nor be angry at her adoptive daughter to harshly if she did do this, though Nyima could be sure that Duara would not be happy - and she would learn from such a mistake. However, that mistake could cost them their entire homelands, for if it was given to the wrong set of ears or over-heard by one that should not be allowed near the information, everything could collapse in on them. Scar finding out of a Pride ruled by lionesses, full of mostly lionesses would be disaster for the Lowlanders. She didn't want to think about the consequences, but as the thoughts often did they had now intruded her mind and plagued her thoughts.

By some strange, un-known force her troubling thoughts that always seemed to be lingering on the edge of her mind, taunting her and traumatising her when she was close to sleep or exhausted, drifted away. In their absence, her mind was filled with the task at hand. A suitor for herself. To many a lioness, the idea of cubs and a male companion to forever be by their side, or even just love from a male for one night was something to be delighted and excited over. To Duara, it was repulsive. Her very core felt sick, and she had an urge to empty the contents of her stomach. She shut her eyes for a moment, and when they opened she'd managed to calm down her sickened thoughts. Duara was now beginning to come to terms with the fact that she did not believe she would ever have feelings for a lion. She'd never found lions attractive, and it dawned on her now that she'd never really found many other than Nyota appealing. She didn't want to think too much on what she would have to do, but at least perhaps she would not have to pretend that she enjoyed the act as she knew Nyota had to do. She would rather just shut her eyes and wait until it was over to breathe a sigh of relief. She wouldn't show too much her displeasure, so as not to offend her suitor.

It seemed that Nyota had been given the time to think it over in her wise, fast of thought mind and Duara watched as the Queen's eyes shut, before her body language shifted into one of resignation - though she could clearly see that Nyota was not pleased with such an arrangement. Nor was Duara, but each had to suffer if they wanted to achieve true happiness. Her proximity to Nyota was beginning to affect her in ways she'd never imagined, and a feeling of excitement was within her. What was this? Duara couldn't understand what these feelings were, for it was un-heard of for a lioness to fall in love with another lioness. But, that did not always mean that it was not something within the realms of possibility. After everything the pair had been through together, Duara decided that it didn't matter if it was not the norm. There life was anything but normal, why should their feelings be so too? But then, Duara could not be positive as of yet if Nyota felt the same. Well, Duara was not sure for the moment, but within the space of a few seconds her questions as to whether Nyota felt it too would be answered.

She tilted her head at Nyota and shifted her weight back so as to look her in the eye. "If what were possible, Nyota?" She asked softly as Nyota paused and seemed to drift away from reality for a moment, considering how to next phrase her words. Her eyes widened a fraction and she blinked in surprise, before a small smile formed on her muzzle. Was Nyota suggesting that she too felt the things that Duara felt? The smile dropped and she sighed heavily, shaking her head. It was not Nyota's fault what she was born, nor was it Duara's fault that she had been born a female. "We would not have this problem if I were a male, Nyota. The fact is, we are both female and do have this problem. But I do not care, for I do not need a male, I only wish for the cubs to accompany Nyima in the journey of life." Duara chimed in. She felt her smile grow once more and she now rested her head against Nyota's cheek. She was over-whelmed with the emotions that filled her, unsure of how to respond. She could feel her heart thumping in her chest. She felt that words were not needed in that moment, for as she rested a paw over Nyota's she hoped she could convey that she felt the same through her actions as her voice had abandoned her.
Back to top Go down
Nyota

Nyota

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 2:40 am

The jungle territory was vast, which added to the sense of safety they all currently enjoyed. But the line between safety and destruction was thin, and often beyond control. Chaos would soon come to the jungle with the loss of one of their own. The younger generation of Lowlanders had never experienced death or war. Nyima was still innocent as a cub; a gentle, caring young lioness, who seemed to worry over killing smaller, weaker creatures. It was a far cry from Nyota, who had been thrust into battle at a young age. Nyima was the lioness Nyota wished she could be, but responsibility and loss had been too abundant in her young life. Perhaps what the princess needed was proper training for the future, since Nyota worried about her ability to hold her own in the face of trouble. This was something the queen would later discuss with the head warrior of the pride.

For now, Nyota tried to forget the world. The silence and the peace would not last long, but she could enjoy it while it did. Around Duara, she wasn't just the queen. She was more than that, and less: only Nyota, the lioness who had lost her entire family in the war; the lioness who had to grow up too fast and take on the weight of the world. With Duara, she had found someone willing and able to help take some of the load and do her part to help, even though it wasn't her responsibility. Duara had not been chosen simply for romantic reasons, but because Nyota knew she could do the job well. Should the worst happen, the Lowlanders would not be lost to oblivion with Duara at the helm. But Nyota had long realized her fondness for her oldest friend was more. It had no name, and Nyota had tried to ignore it. Countless dreams at night had been subconsciously dedicated to the lioness who would be by her side in the waking hours. Duara was the one sure thing in Nyota's life.

"You have my consent. I will think only of the unborn cubs, the end will justify the means. They will be as beautiful and wise as their mother," she purred. "I will love them as my own. Our family may not be traditional, but we are a family nonetheless, and let no one say otherwise. No other will take your place in my life, whether lion or lioness." And while Nyota was certain the other knew it, she felt it was finally time to say it. Words could never be taken back; they were powerful, and now was the time. She pulled her head back to gaze into Duara's dark violet eyes, and a gentle smile crossed her muzzle.

"You are my love, Duara. Know that I love only you." The volume of her purring increased as Nyota nuzzled Duara again. It only felt natural to be so close now, and Nyota had no fear that Duara would deny her affections. Of this, Nyota was certain, and she would be left wondering why she had not realized it sooner. Duara was irreplaceable: the daytime to Nyota's night. While such a relationship was unheard of in the jungle, or on the savannah at large, nothing else made sense to Nyota. A life without Duara would be a life devoid a meaning. "And if it were possible, we would make adorable cubs," she added with a light laugh.
Back to top Go down
Duara

Duara

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Duara felt as if both herself and Nyota had fallen into deep thoughts, which they often did. She presumed that Nyota was thinking of Nyima, or perhaps the thin line that had been conjured between safety and danger. She could only hope that they would remain as safe as they were now, but with the constant threat of Scar looming on the horizon, and no one to stop his horrible reign, she felt as if they were all sinking deeper and deeper into a dark future. She would be a complete and utter liar if she said that she was not scared, for Duara often felt herself begin to panic over what might happen. The thought of someone hurting her Nyota made her angry, scared, and worrisome. In fact, the thought of another lion harming any in their pride - especially Nyima - was a painful one. She squeezed her eyes shut and hoped that Umiza, their warrior, would always be around to protect them all. She was a brave lioness, that much was true, and a strong one too. She always kept her head, even in dire situations.

Duara tried to push the thoughts of their mind, the idea that their entire life would be ripped away from them, but you couldn't kill an idea. Not once it had made a home inside your head. Duara automatically wanted to shift closer to Nyota and rest her head against the others neck, but she managed to hold herself still. She turned her head slightly to stare at Nyota, now contemplating their relationship. Nyota was more than just a Queen to Duara, she was her longest friend, her confidant, and something more. Something that no words could describe, for it was such a strong and powerful emotion that Duara felt whenever her eyes laid rest on Nyota. In Duara's eyes, no beauty could compare with that of Nyota, and the beauty was perfected by the three circles beneath her eye that gave her a unique look. Duara often felt plain beside Nyota, but she was not a vain lioness and believed that beauty came from within.

"I am glad that you have decided to accept this, Nyota. I believe that I would not be able to go through with it if I did not have your blessing," Duara felt a smile play out on her muzzle and her heart swelled at the words that left Nyota. Duara bowed her head in just the slightest to show her gratitude towards Nyota. "I am sure that they will be fit to protect our Nyima too, Nyota." Duara knew that their family was a rather strange one, but she liked it. Little Nyima would hopefully have some siblings soon, for it was clear that only on rare occasions would she Sakitu.

Duara's breath stilled from the intensity of the moment, and she felt happiness wash over her, like a wave crashing over the sand. She nuzzled Nyota back, a soft purr building up within her. She knew that such a relationship was un-heard of in any lands, a lioness falling in love with another lioness, but it did not bother her. Nyota had been her world from the beginning, and it only felt natural to respond with the words, "And I, you, Nyota. Forever you shall have my love, given only to you," and she was proud to have Nyota to herself. Selfish as it was, she didn't care for Nyota was her everything. She laughed with Nyota and tenderly licked her cheek. "Why I believe we would."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

On A Misty Morning Empty
PostSubject: Re: On A Misty Morning   On A Misty Morning Empty

Back to top Go down

On A Misty Morning
Page 1 of 1